Should I Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cstewart1

Feb 10, 2021
Lexington Ky
Hello everyone I happened upon a Jotul 602 in great condition and for a great price too. I’ve read the forum on here on the older 602s one being UL and the other not and I’m still scratching my head on this one. It seems to have all the burn plates very clean and well took care of it’s an older couple who say they never used it much and I think it shows. This stove how ever doesn't have any label/tag on it. The local dealer will have the new EPA 602s in here in about a month I love the glass door and all but Imthis vintage green enamel 602 is drawing me more to it also it’s about 3-400$ cheaper so what should I do here? Go for the vintage older 602 or wait around for brand spanking new one

D7A086DE-35C7-4C56-A130-83624A8A613E.png 6A21D377-0263-493A-9FEE-19B05C289CBF.png 601D15AE-D288-476F-9E11-BA48AECB9413.jpeg CF383708-7ED4-4D27-9427-E29691228A28.jpeg

Hello everyone I happened upon a Jotul 602 in great condition and for a great price too. I’ve read the forum on here on the older 602s one being UL and the other not and I’m still scratching my head on this one. It seems to have all the burn plates very clean and well took care of it’s an older couple who say they never used it much and I think it shows. This stove how ever doesn't have any label/tag on it. The local dealer will have the new EPA 602s in here in about a month I love the glass door and all but Imthis vintage green enamel 602 is drawing me more to it also it’s about 3-400$ cheaper so what should I do here? Go for the vintage older 602 or wait around for brand spanking new one

View attachment 276513 View attachment 276514 View attachment 276515 View attachment 276516
I restored a few ones like it, take care to check the sides (outside) of the stove, some have cracks . But that stove seems in good condition. What do you want to heat with it? How many sqf, insulated house or not, chimney's condition...does your insurance company accept a stove having no certification label?...I don't know the codes in your place. But a new stove still be a new stove, maybe more expansive but you will have it for probably many years to come.

I restored a few ones like it, take care to check the sides (outside) of the stove, some have cracks . But that stove seems in good condition. What do you want to heat with it? How many sqf, insulated house or not, chimney's condition...does your insurance company accept a stove having no certification label?...I don't know the codes in your place. But a new stove still be a new stove, maybe more expansive but you will have it for probably many years to come.
You’re right about having a new one much longer as far as the insurance all they require from me is a proper hearth and clearances I’ve already found an old 602 manual to go by too I currently use a Morso 1b standard and it’s a great stove I’ve just always wanted me a good clean green original 602 I’m sorta a vintage/antique freak just having a hard time deciding between new and old

You’re right about having a new one much longer as far as the insurance all they require from me is a proper hearth and clearances I’ve already found an old 602 manual to go by too I currently use a Morso 1b standard and it’s a great stove I’ve just always wanted me a good clean green original 602 I’m sorta a vintage/antique freak just having a hard time deciding between new and old
This is the 1b I use now it heats the upstairs I have a basement underground but this little guy heats the living room and kitchen which is one big room my bedroom and bathroom I would think the Jotul would hear it up about the same?

Attachments

• 689ED5D7-4A90-4254-ACFF-129671DD5DC7.jpeg
    689ED5D7-4A90-4254-ACFF-129671DD5DC7.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 137
It's a good little heater, not exactly clean or long burning, but simple. We have one in red.

What are they asking for the green F602? are the side burn plates and baffle in good condition with no cracks or warpage? Is the back of the stove crack free?

It's a good little heater, not exactly clean or long burning, but simple. We have one in red.

What are they asking for the green F602? are the side burn plates and baffle in good condition with no cracks or warpage? Is the back of the stove crack free?
They are asking $800 a new one is going for $1100 I am in central/eastern Kentucky and from what I’ve found they are high dollar around here the father north you go the cheaper they seem to get now that’s just what I see. The green one I’m looking at is in great condition from what I see the side plates and baffle look to be a great shape there’s hardly even a chip gone in the enamel and I’m told they hardly used it rather that’s true or not but judge if from what I’ve seen it does look to be very clean for an older stove

They are asking $800 a new one is going for $1100 I am in central/eastern Kentucky and from what I’ve found they are high dollar around here the father north you go the cheaper they seem to get now that’s just what I see. The green one I’m looking at is in great condition from what I see the side plates and baffle look to be a great shape there’s hardly even a chip gone in the enamel and I’m told they hardly used it rather that’s true or not but judge if from what I’ve seen it does look to be very clean for an older stove
If my translation to French is correct, you would pay only $300.00 more for a new EPA 602 S .

$800 is high. Offer $600 if interested. Otherwise, get a new F602 v2 or a VC Aspen C3 if you want a bit larger stove.

Be still my heart. That's the exact first stove we ever had some 40+ years ago and I would have a hard time passing it by. That said, I think they're asking too much. A point of comparison...I picked up a 602 N (CB) last year for 650. It was in excellent condition, but not the enamel coated version. I think you could do better price wise, but may have trouble finding one in great condition. So if it were me, I'd low ball it and hope, keep looking for maybe a used CB, or spring for a new one.