Should I replace my current stove with an airtight stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnknownLegend

Dec 30, 2012
Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I know very little about wood stoves, so I thought I'd turn to this forum for guidance.

I just moved into a 576 square foot house with a wood stove. The wood stove is the only source of heat. Someone is offering me an airtight wood stove for free, and I wasn't sure if I should accept it or not. Here are some pictures of what I have currently have, as well as the airtight stove.

The airtight stove is a Quadra Fire.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• currentstove1.JPG
    currentstove1.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 284
  • currentstove2.JPG
    currentstove2.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 334
  • currentstove3.JPG
    currentstove3.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 349
  • airtightstove1.jpg
    airtightstove1.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 290
  • airtightstove2.jpg
    airtightstove2.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 298
  • airtightstove3.jpg
    airtightstove3.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 306
Reactions: raybonz
+,1 what model quad? Looks like a major upgrade. What is your current install like? Chimney wise I mean.

Looks like a Quadrafire 3100. About $1800 dollars worth of stove.

It's a no-brainer. That Quadrafire is a modern, efficient, clean wood burner. The existing old thing is an antique, inefficient, dirty wood burner. By all means take advantage of this opportunity...and then let's start talking about installation requirements. Welcome to the forums! Rick

Yes !!! I have a Quad Insert (really an air tight stove that sits inside a fireplace opening)... it works great and is working right now. Whatever you pay ($$ or Sweat) for wood will return many more BTUs (Heat) with the Quad... and the Quad with well seasoned HW should be capable of an overnight burn, I doubt the old job will burn longer than 3 or 4 hours.

Happy heating, and a great buy even if you had to pay $1,000 for it.

Welcome to Hearth, you won't be "unknown" for long! You've already made the best choice possible, looking for advice. You'll will get lots of help along with most importantly sound advice on any swap or new install. Clearances must be met along with proper pipe etc..... take lots of pics and you'll be amazed how much help people on here will lend a hand. Also, be sure and stop by the wood shed for sound advice on everything from storing, stacking, and seasoning your wood. Backwoods Savage has been known to help more than a few people out !

Oops, forgot. Heck yea get the free stove! :)

I would jump on it ! Far less wood consumption and much longer heat life. Be aware you need good dry wood not what a dealer says is dry but what is dry. Do you have room for drying wood outside? Can you split and stack wood? 20 percent moister is the general rule of thumb which is a year split and stacked in the wind minimum.

Pete

Airtight is the way to go and the price is great!

Wow thank you for the help! I'm not sure what there is to work with chimney-wise, but I will take pictures and upload them tomorrow during the daylight. The house is about 7 years old so I would hope the chimney is in good shape.

As for the type of wood that will be used for burning, the previous owner left quite a few cords of wood that are very light and easy to burn. After we burn through them, we will use some newer cords that are about two years old. We keep them dry outside and bring a few pieces inside to stack for easily accessibility.

Actually, the term "airtight" as applied to wood burning stoves is somewhat obsolete and was always somewhat misleading. Modern stoves are generally not referred to as being "airtight". Any stove requires a flow path for gases through from the combustion air inlet(s) to the outlet flue. There really isn't anything "airtight" about any of them. These days, what you want to look for is a stove that is both UL listed and EPA certified...that means it burns safely (provided it's installed correctly) and cleanly (environmentally speaking). Rick

And tell us where you live, if you would. :)

Sounds like a sweet deal!

Now, not to be a downer but since nobody else asked: why is it free?

Even is the stove has issues it's a great deal, but you have to be sure you understand what issues there are and what needs to be done with time and money to get that puppy safe and sound.

Welcome too!

It could be split in half and be safer than the Monkey Wards Franklin. I know. I used own one. The Franklin that is.

I would upgrade for sure.

Actually, the term "airtight" as applied to wood burning stoves is somewhat obsolete and was always somewhat misleading. Modern stoves are generally not referred to as being "airtight". Any stove requires a flow path for gases through from the combustion air inlet(s) to the outlet flue. There really isn't anything "airtight" about any of them. These days, what you want to look for is a stove that is both UL listed and EPA certified...that means it burns safely (provided it's installed correctly) and cleanly (environmentally speaking). Rick

Exactly. Modern EPA stoves are not airtight. They are designed so that they don't cut off all the air and let the fire smolder. And yet I see the term airtight still used in marketing literature... written by clueless marketing depts..

Go for that offer. It's quite a generous one. Be sure to buy a case of beer/wine for the donor.

Exactly. Modern EPA stoves are not airtight. They are designed so that they don't cut off all the air and let the fire smolder. And yet I see the term airtight still used in marketing literature... written by clueless marketing depts..

Go for that offer. It's quite a generous one. Be sure to buy a case of beer/wine for the donor.
I think the term "airtight" is referring to doors mostly..or anywhere gaskets are,like cook tops on some stoves.
At least way more airtight then when Franklin and Round Oaks were popular.

Exactly. Modern EPA stoves are not airtight. They are designed so that they don't cut off all the air and let the fire smolder.
They are stingy with fuel, so it's accurate to call them wood-tight. ==c
Gee, I wish somebody would offer me a free $1800 stove... ;lol

Talk about a n0-brainer! I would be all over that Quadrafire 3100 if that is what it is! I just looked it up and it has ACC (automatic combustion control) Wow that sounds like a great feature and 13 hr. burn times too.. With a home that small you may need to crack a window on occasion..

Ray

Yo, at least fire up the old stove and share the experience with us.

Hmmmm, old Franklin or newer Quadrafire??? Likely the Quad is a steal of a good deal, but it depends on the flue requirements which can cost as much as a new stove to fit out. In which case free is not gonna be free. That Quadrafire stove can certainly roast you out of a less than 600 sq ft place. Certainly burns better that the old Frankie, but may not be needed for that small of a place. Depends on your location and insulation in the place.

not really a hard decision to make. the old franklin looks like it has served its purpose over the years. give the quad a chance. should easily be able so set up the pipe and chimney for the quad. i have an old jotul 602 that was given to me back in 92 and still have it around although not currently using it. thought about a garage install, if the codes allow.

cass

Just to state the obvious...
Others here have referred to the newer stove as "efficient".
What that means to you, as compared to using the older stove, is more heat produced per wood used so less lugging, loading, and ash handling.
Once you work your way through the firewood you have it will mean less work (cutting, splitting, stacking) or money to get the firewood you need.
A more efficient stove typically emits less pollution also.

Keep in mind that that the stove and chimney are a "system". The best stove in the world won't work well without a good flue, and "good" doesn't necessarily mean big.

The old stove has treated us well, but most of the heat seems to go up the chimney rather than stay in the house. Kept us decently warm I guess.

We're having the new stove installed today - I'll keep you posted on how everything goes! The new stove is actually coming from an elderly lady who says she bought the wrong stove, she wanted a stove in her house that would mostly be for looks and not for heating purposes. So she wants to swap hers with ours. Seems very kind of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.