Should I seal the damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried finding the answer to this question, but am having no luck. I am about to install a PE T5 next week (if the piping comes in!), and am trying to take care of any loose ends beforehand. The PE will be using a masonry chimney. I looked at the damper area of the fireplace, and see the previous owner stuffed it with insulation. I am wondering if I should seal the damper in a manner discussed here (though not cutting the 6" hole as I don't need one):

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely install a block off plate. I made my own and it was kind of a pain, but from all the research I did (and just common sense) it is well worth it. Stuffing insulation around the liner/pipe will help, but with a metal block off and insulation behind it all the heat coming off of the stove is refracted back into the room instead of up the chimney. Your insulation should be a high temp mineral wool and not regualr wall insulation. I don't think there is a chance of reg insulation catching fire unless it has direct contact with open flame, but from what I read it will shrink if heated too much.

Yes. It will help keep the heat in your house and act as a fire door for your chimney.

Can't stay and play, work calls. Durrutti, use the search feature and look at the posts for SLAMMERS. Read carefully your owners manual on the installation. You should be able to get one on line, if you don't have a hard copy. Reading between the lines, you seem to suggest you are not going to use a pipe to the chimney at all, correct? Others will jump in here, but you will not have a legal install if you do, and could create a dangerous situation.

littlesmokey said:
Can't stay and play, work calls. Durrutti, use the search feature and look at the posts for SLAMMERS. Read carefully your owners manual on the installation. You should be able to get one on line, if you don't have a hard copy. Reading between the lines, you seem to suggest you are not going to use a pipe to the chimney at all, correct? Others will jump in here, but you will not have a legal install if you do, and could create a dangerous situation.

Thanks for all the responses. Nope, running the pipe into the chimney, and want to not only be legal, but also safe. Running Selkirk DSP into masonry adapter into chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.