should I switch from 6" back to 8" stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
I've got an older stove with an 8" collar, and a masonary flue with an 8x12 liner. Probably be replacing the whole thing next year anyhow. But we always have had a tough time getting the thing going. The top down method is something I'll try as well. But They hooked the stove up to the thimble with 6" (reducer on stove collar and reducer on thimble). Would it make much a difference if I went 8" from the stove to the thimble and skipped the two reducers? Crappy pic is attached:
oldstove1.jpg

Heh if the stove has 8" output and the thimble is 8", yes it should work better with a true 8" pipe the whole way. I am boggled as to why they did it that way.

Pull off the stovepipe from the thimble and inspect inside the chimney--maybe it actually has a 6" liner going down there and the reducer on the thimble was just for looks?

Beyond that possibility the setup there with the reducers make no sense.

spirilis said:
Heh if the stove has 8" output and the thimble is 8", yes it should work better with a true 8" pipe the whole way. I am boggled as to why they did it that way.

Pull off the stovepipe from the thimble and inspect inside the chimney--maybe it actually has a 6" liner going down there and the reducer on the thimble was just for looks?

Beyond that possibility the setup there with the reducers make no sense.

I agree... but its defiantly a 8x12 clay liner. We've lived here now 2 years (this will be the third winter) and I've cleaned it out many times. And being that it only goes through an attic the height isnt that great either. We plan on putting 6" liner with a new stove, but not so much money right now and want to see how the new Jotul insert works out in the other room.

Maybe they had the parts already or something IDK why they did it that way.

That is really an odd hookup for sure. It appears the stove was designed for 8" so why go to the expense of 2 reducers? Skip the reducers and go 8" all the way and I'll bet you get better draft.

Well picked some 8" up at the local store. I dont know what these normally go for but if I knew the price before I walked in and asked the lady I probably would have just kept it the way it was (especially since I plan on putting a new stove in maybe next year). Two 24" long pieces and 1 elbow $50. Hope it works better atleast. Of course it happens to be like 70* right now so might be a little while before it gets tested...

Anyone happen to recognize that stove? Is it possibly some locally built thing and not a known brand? Its going to the garage as soon as I have money for a replacement.

I know you say the stove is an oldie, so I'd start looking for leaks that might be robbing you of your draft.

Amazing how some people put things together.
It also looks like you've got a little "downhill" action going on there.
Is it an optical illusion or is the horizontal section sloped down into
the thimble?
Looks like the section of 6" coming off the reducer is tilted & that
also leads me to think you got a downhill.
If anything, that horizontal section should go slightly UPHILL into the thimble...

Maybe the old owners already had the 6in and instead of buying new 8in bought two reducers, not even sure that would save money but Im just trying to think outside the box.

DAKSY said:
Amazing how some people put things together.
It also looks like you've got a little "downhill" action going on there.
Is it an optical illusion or is the horizontal section sloped down into
the thimble?
Looks like the section of 6" coming off the reducer is tilted & that
also leads me to think you got a downhill.
If anything, that horizontal section should go slightly UPHILL into the thimble...

A minimum of 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal.

Yes actually now I look at it it is slightly sloped down to the thimble. Not as bad as the picture but still sloped. So going to kill two birds with one stone.

While I agree that the 8" should help, I am not sure how much. Part of the reason you are getting poor draft is that you are dumping the smoke into a larger, uninsulated chimney - and you say the chimney is short, which does not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.