Should I take this Chinese elm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
My tree guy just texted me to let me know that a block away he just cut a good size Chinese elm (16" rounds). About a 1/2 cord.

I am not sure if my body is up to it. I have never refused wood from him....yet he never called me offering elm... sap with that :roll: (always beech/ash/maple). I wonder if I let it sit for couple of days...& let it freeze good..would it be easier to split?

Man, sounds like I am becoming wood picky :) or just old.

Diabel said:
My tree guy just texted me to let me know that a block away he just cut a good size Chinese elm (16" rounds). About a 1/2 cord.

I am not sure if my body is up to it. I have never refused wood from him....yet he never called me offering elm... sap with that :roll: (always beech/ash/maple). I wonder if I let it sit for couple of days...& let it freeze good..would it be easier to split?

Man, sounds like I am becoming wood picky :) or just old.
yes elm is easier to split frozen but its still tuff stuff but good burning when seasoned

If I was you, I'd take it! Even if I didn't want to split it, I'd take and give/sell cheaply to someone who would split and use it. I wouldn't risk the relationship with the guy or next telephone call of a preferred wood might go to the guy that took the elm.

half a cord cut you and that dog will have it rap up in less than hour!

Yeah, I do not want to make that call...
It would mean that he has to come back & remove it all (time fuel etc)

Guess what I will be doing in the morning?

btw is there any difference between American elm & Chinese elm? I have burned the American elm before & it was ...ok not great.

smokinj said:

I wish she was still around :long:

Diabel said:
smokinj said:

I wish she was still around :long:
sorry,

Chinese Elm? Thought we weren`t using chinese anymore? :lol:

You sure there is no lead in that tree??

sonnyinbc said:
Chinese Elm? Thought we weren`t using chinese anymore? :lol:

You sure there is no lead in that tree??

Nice!

You kidding me I've been to Vancouver :lol:

Off topic but are you thinking of getting another GSD? I'm asking because I'm on the board of directors for a Shep rescue and have too! I don't know how the economy is up there but around here it's rough so people are throwing away really awesome dogs and puppies right now in an effort to save money. People are always dumping good animals but because of the economy, shelters around here are calling every day and begging us to take as many as we can or else they'll have to put them down. Right now there is a small town shelter that just got 5 GSDs in the door in a matter of a couple days... We're not going to discuss the thousands of dogs Philadelphia shelters get in a day... Just a thought but if you had enough grieving time, it would be a wonderful Christmas gift to a wonderful dog, having owned GSDs you know just how loyal and loving those creatures are!

Sorry about off topic!

termv said:
Off topic but are you thinking of getting another GSD? I'm asking because I'm on the board of directors for a Shep rescue and have too! I don't know how the economy is up there but around here it's rough so people are throwing away really awesome dogs and puppies right now in an effort to save money. People are always dumping good animals but because of the economy, shelters around here are calling every day and begging us to take as many as we can or else they'll have to put them down. Right now there is a small town shelter that just got 5 GSDs in the door in a matter of a couple days... We're not going to discuss the thousands of dogs Philadelphia shelters get in a day... Just a thought but if you had enough grieving time, it would be a wonderful Christmas gift to a wonderful dog, having owned GSDs you know just how loyal and loving those creatures are!

Sorry about off topic!

It's cool...

You know, I don't thing I will ever have another GS...no other would match up. She was my best friend for 15 yrs.

And the kids want a Yorkie!!!! Man....I will just hang out with my stove :lol:

Diabel said:
termv said:

Sorry about off topic!

It's cool...

You know, I don't thing I will ever have another GS...no other would match up. She was my best friend for 15 yrs.

And the kids want a Yorkie!!!! Man....I will just hang out with my stove :lol:

LOL! You'll be back with another GSD in the future. Sure none will ever take the place of the last one but he/she will find another spot in your heart, sheps personalities vary as much as people you just can't expect the next one to be the exact same as the first. Yorkies are nice lap dogs but nothing beats the warm feeling a shep gives you when he's sitting next to you in the truck or lying near your kids playing on the front lawn keeping that watchful eye on everything!

Deep inside I believe I will have another one...but the kids are too small at this point.

Hey... an idea! Honey I am going through a mid life crisis.. I am buying a pickup & another German Shepperd

:lol:

Diabel, my condolences. I went through it in September. It's rough, rough, rough.

I've a new Smooth Fox Terrier puppy. Having had only big dogs before, this one is kinda cool, and an awesome amount of medicine in a small package. Don't discount it ;-)

New pup in the house, though, and everything Chester (and all the dogs before) taught me, Murphy's gonna have the blessing of that wisdom. He's a lucky dog :coolsmile:

First year guy here . Short this year but next year lookout my tree guy gave me a maple
monster . Delivered in 20 foot lenths . biggest pcs is 4 feet 9 inches round he said sorry for the big pcs.
I said no problem dont want to lose him I barter seafood with him . So what do i do with these big boys
so far I'm Halfway done cutting the logs he dropped and I have 2 2.5 cords for next year /.,

Lets see my daughter is 8.....wow my dog died 8 yrs ago, I sound like a looser :lol:

Anyhow, guys thanks for the nice comments....I just can't see myself going for a 300ft walk with a Yorkie :lol:

Dumbfishguy said:
First year guy here . Short this year but next year lookout my tree guy gave me a maple
monster . Delivered in 20 foot lenths . biggest pcs is 4 feet 9 inches round he said sorry for the big pcs.
I said no problem dont want to lose him I barter seafood with him . So what do i do with these big boys
so far I'm Halfway done cutting the logs he dropped and I have 2 2.5 cords for next year /.,

Yeah, we got log ends and oak "chunks" delivered here this summer. Some of the oak chunks were solid 4'x3'x2' which weren't hard to split but some of the poplar 4' across by 8' long ends were a PITA. The maul would hit and stick or would bounce kinda like hitting a big rubber ball with a bat. Should have waited until at least frozen on the inside, I think that would have made a huge difference but I wanted to make sure they were split to "freeze dry" all winter undercover.

If you need help getting rid of them, I'm sure there are several people on here that are close enough to help out! :)

Diabel said:
Lets see my daughter is 8.....wow my dog died 8 yrs ago, I sound like a looser :lol:

Anyhow, guys thanks for the nice comments....I just can't see myself going for a 300ft walk with a Yorkie :lol:

Yorkies have 'little-big-dog' syndrome. They have the attitude that they are a big badass dog. It's quite funny. Brett Favre has a couple.

CA loves small dogs...no idea why. I was in LA, SF & San Diego recently....small dogs everywhere!

I'd take it...a wood burner can never have enough wood stored away. Time for another dog too.

savageactor7 said:
I'd take it...a wood burner can never have enough wood stored away.

Just curious about this, IF your wood is stored outside on pallets, how long can the wood be good for? I mean, if you wanted to...could you have wood stored for 10 years?

Well I store my outside piled high, not stacked, on gravel beds...like 12' high and only cover it in the fall. It's lasts at least 4 years with no visible harm done. I thinking why not 10 years? it's only wood sitting out in the sun.

I'd take it because like others said it's free wood, but I had some Chinese Elm years ago and was very disappointed in it; didn't burn well, didn't throw much heat but anyways, it's up to you. Take it and try it when it's seasoned and make your own decision-hopefully it'll be better for you than it was for me!

Lots of Chinese elm around here , not the greatest of wood but like they say wood is wood. I mix it in with the better stuff and use it when it's not very cold out just like I use pine.
Yorkies ,my old neighbor had one ironically after his GS died his wife and kids wanted one and they named it sparky but he and I called it barky and that stupid thing would bark non stop . Worst dog I ever lived near and the neighbor hated it , tried to get it to run away but the damn thing would not leaved the yard. I had to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.