Should I test the Everburn Technology?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I received quite a few e-mails and PM’s concerning the Cat Encore and the Everburn Encore, As many know, I have a brand new Non Cat Encore sitting in my shed, given to me for the Donor program The owner it is going to will be replacing his 1988 Cat Encore
He is an older guy set in his ways. I’m at a cross roads here I do not want to install a stove and be married to it to get it working correctly Now I wish when offered I had opted for the Cat combustor model. I had him follow the recent post concerning the Everburn discussion. He too does not want a stove he has to constantly fiddle with. IF VC were closer I would be bringing it back but the trip is a whole day ordeal 6/7 hours driving.

I would love to try it out in the very setup that has my Cat version using the same wood supply and as a controlled environment as possible outside a LAB. But used in real world conditions.

Part of the problem is horsing around 450 lb stoves. The other part is what if I like it it is going to be hard to part with. Or the flip side, it is too hard to operate, then how could I ever donate it to anyone. I have the conscience thing to get over, as the stove was never intended for my personal use.

I have talked it over with the current possible donor receiver and he liked the suggestion.
He too would want a stove that one can advise how to operate the new Everburn technology I guess I have to talk to VC and field there thoughts on this matter. But I don’t want to ruin any creditability with them by making the suggestion What would do?

install it and run it in your house ole' ELKer

You have many years of wood burning experience so when you do a review your going to have to keep in mind that most wood burners are not as experienced with wood stoves.

DO IT MAN!

Or you can figure it is just as much work to lug it into his house as to lug it into yours and go ahead and put it in his house. If it sucks, it is the same work to put his old stove back on the pipe as yours. And you haven't messed with your installation.

I can appreciate your quandry, but I'm with Roo. Sounds like the new owner is too.

If you find the stove finicky then VC should have the decency to replace it with a better behaved stove. If you fall in love with it, then well it's between you and your missus as to whether you upgrade once again. FWIW, me and mine had that conversation today also.

BeGreen said:
I can appreciate your quadry, but I'm with Roo. Sounds like the new owner is too.

If you find the stove finicky then VC should have the decency to replace it with a better behaved stove. If you fall in love with it, then well it's between you and your missus as to whether you upgrade once again. FWIW, me and mine had that conversation today also.

Get the damn SUMMIT and get it over with BG so we dont have to run a thread of what stove is best for you in 2008!

************************ ;-) ****************************

She hasn't quite warmed up to it Roo. The Isle Royale is a much easier sell. Remember, we just removed giant 'enjoy the view' picture windows and replaced them with divided lights.

Bb I knew I should post this I been kicking it around in my mind for weeks. But what you say makes perfect sense.
Really I can't complain how muy current stove has preformed and why mess with sucess Another thing that has keep my for making the swap is the 8" oval adapter a red stove would look pretty cheezy witha forest green flue collar mine is 6" round. Plus then there is the entire setup to go threw. and the justification with the wife.

Maybe I should look at my other stove to replace its 20 years old. Small Everburn Dutch west would fit right there

I would say that it is a dilemma, as VC might get upset if you put the donor stove in your house for any length of time. I would say that given the large number of issues raised here on the forums about the Everburn, that I'm getting a bit uneasy about the idea of an Everburn stove myself, assuming we ever get to the point of upgrading. (a pity since it's one of the few stoves that would fit into our oddball setup)

Definitely sounds like something you will need to talk over with Pete and the other types @ VC (and maybe ask them why they aren't participating here visibly as you were expecting them to) and raise the issue with them saying that your potential donor recipients are getting "gun shy" about accepting an Everburn without some personal reassurance that it will work at least as well as what they are currently running, and asking if it would be OK for you to test the donor stove before giving it away...

BTW, if you need a hand swapping the stoves out, I'd be possibly be willing to come down and help, though I think we'd probably want a couple more bodies as well - I'm good for about 100-150 lbs, so for 450 lbs I'd think we'd want four people for the lift & lug parts...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I would say that it is a dilemma, as VC might get upset if you put the donor stove in your house for any length of time. I would say that given the large number of issues raised here on the forums about the Everburn, that I'm getting a bit uneasy about the idea of an Everburn stove myself, assuming we ever get to the point of upgrading. (a pity since it's one of the few stoves that would fit into our oddball setup)

Definitely sounds like something you will need to talk over with Pete and the other types @ VC (and maybe ask them why they aren't participating here visibly as you were expecting them to) and raise the issue with them saying that your potential donor recipients are getting "gun shy" about accepting an Everburn without some personal reassurance that it will work at least as well as what they are currently running, and asking if it would be OK for you to test the donor stove before giving it away...

BTW, if you need a hand swapping the stoves out, I'd be possibly be willing to come down and help, though I think we'd probably want a couple more bodies as well - I'm good for about 100-150 lbs, so for 450 lbs I'd think we'd want four people for the lift & lug parts...

Gooserider

Its because it IS the everburn stove as per how i cast my vote , now if it was any other stove then i might be a different story.

Elk and others, I don't think that VC would engage here before the stove is installed to say you should be careful or test it first, that would be admitting publicly that the everburn is not working properly. Direct them to the thread and ask their opinion. If they truly believe the stove works as advertised, they will support you and get the positive PR that goes along with being visible, like Englander does here.

Let me ask you... Does anyone else feel Englander's reputation is better not that they participate here? I sure do.

If the stove does not work as advertised, then VC should take this as an opportunity to work in the field to correct problems. If it works, then great. But silence from VC here is not good once you install the stove. Elk you are NOT the VC spokes person for as much as you do for them, you don't work for them (I don't think) and so see if you can get them to engage here after it's installed.

If the stove was intended as a donor, then install it as such and make any issues super visible to VC.

Yes you should test the everburn technology. It would be nice to have a fresh take on how this system preforms in the field. My customers have not had the problems that seem to be prevalent here. I have sold everburn stoves to my friends and family members and have had no complaints other than the usual getting used to the new stove. I am a Vermont Castings distributor so please take my opinion for what it is worth. Every day on my way to work I pass a Dutchwest non cat at my friends parents house. Every day I see a whiff of condensation coming from the stack. The have had it for 2 heating seasons. It is a 6" metalbestos chimney up the side of the house.

I vote for setting up and testing, Elk, pehaps after sending an e-mail to your connections with VC and making them aware of the your concerns. I think they should probably step up to the plate and address them here, but my guess is they probably do have their reasons for not addressing them on a public forum like this.

The other alternative, like you said would be to swap it back to them for a cat model. I realize that is a pain due to distance.... maybe a couple of thoughts..... would VC ship a cat to a dealer closer, and the swap could be done through a dealer? or 2, do we have enough members in the MA,VT,NH area to "shuttle" the stove from eastern MA back up to Bethel? I've got a truck, and would be willing to travel.

EDIT: Unless you can get some better answers, Elk, I'd really be somewhat hesitant to set up that one in the donor program... not over-reacting... just sounds like some bugs to be worked out, or that thing is really finicky:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6674/

I can appreciate your delima, elk, but on the other hand, I would like someone with the patience that you seem to have to set it up and operate it for a while (keeping an eye on the stack for smoke). I, too, think that maybe you could contact your VC people and run it by them, so as not to step on any toes. For my own sanity, I'd like to hear of your experiences with the stove. I still have that little voice in my head saying that maybe I was doing something wrong...but I still can't figure out what it could be.

jack said:
Every day on my way to work I pass a Dutchwest non cat at my friends parents house. Every day I see a whiff of condensation coming from the stack. The have had it for 2 heating seasons. It is a 6" metalbestos chimney up the side of the house.

Any guarantees that the wood they are using is up to snuff?

Take all the technology in the world and I can burn an old Russo cleaner than the latest and greatest with wood that is less than perfect.
No matter where they go with this technology, if the wood isnt right it aint gonna do a lick o good.

The factory has done all the testing that needs to be done, let them worry about any issues with running the thing, how difficult can it be.
Put wood in, get fire, adjust air, drink scotch.

Elk - just saw this. I for one vote that you install and run it, for the mere fact that I really would like to see your review. As you know I've reviewed the Dutchwest everburn quite extensively, but I do not have experiece with other stoves, and another VC catalytic stove for comparison sake would be fantastic. I would really like to do the comparison testing myself to tell you the truth, but I have absolutely no intention of buying another stove for a very long time unless I end up moving.

I will say this - the quality of wood makes a HUGE difference in the operation of my stove (as far as ease of getting a good everburn going - nice dry wood makes it a whole lot easier). Also when you are burning 24/7 its easier to maintain an efficient burn - its only the cold starts that are annoying, and really they are only annoying in the sense that you have to let a nice bed of coals get established before you can damper down, this might mean an hour of smokey burning before you can reload and damper down (no idea how that compares to the operation of a catalytic model).

Is it really that hard to jocky the stove into position in your place? Do you have to go up or down stairs? I got 4 small $10 dollies from harbor freight to move mine into posision, jacked it up with a car jack and slid the dollies under each foot, after that it was pretty easy to move. Put a long 2x10 under it and jacked one end up to slide the stove onto the hearth pad.

At any rate, I REALLY hope you test and review this stove in your own home with such great controls for comparison purposes, it would be a valuable service to this forum!!

Elk: Did you install the Everburn stove and what's your opinion on that technology? I am considering one, but don't want to buy the wrong stove.

Elk,

You are bound to the original intent of the agreement with VC. Until the two parties change the contract or agreement you can not do otherwise.

While we would all appreciate a good review of the stove I for one would feel a lot easier that you had the blessings of the donor.

Weigle Tree Service

Status
Not open for further replies.