Should my auger sound like this or is the motor going?? (Quadra Fire 1200i)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peach

Sep 19, 2013
The auger has started making a noise this season during start up preps. This is on a Quadrafire 1200i (2003). Is cleaned and maintained regularly. Noticed when the auger runs it sounds similar to a can opener. It does run in the clockwise direction all the time (no reversing). Never had a clog or abundance of dust/fines with the auger

Stove is our only source of heat and has performed great. Stove still goes thru the normal cycle and seems to function normally except for this new noise.

Does this mean the auger motor is going? I would hate to have this go out in the middle of winter and be on back order.

Thanks so much for your input.

Peach

Take it out and clean it unless you have already done that. Them damn fines fine their way in there somehow, You could always buy one and have it on standby just in case. I noticed mine was making the same type of noise last year. I pulled it out and cleaned it and it sounds better. I posted some pics of it somewhere on here in case you need a look, Good luck.

PS: here is the link to the pics in case you don't know what your getting into.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-does-this-go-back-together-again.112480/#post-1497116

Thanks Mralias for your quick reply. The pic are very helpful.

Just want to be sure I understand your instructions.... I am to clean and oil the auger motor/shaft not the feed chute? Just FYI, the feed path/chute is clean. Do I also need to oil (or adjust) the auger motor set collar?

Peach

I did not oil mine. I did not see any oil ports on my auger motor. Compressed air to blow it out good. Others may recommend a drop or 2 of three in one oil in and around the bearing area but I did not. That would be last resort for me. The cleaning was enough for mine to stop the noise. The feed chute should be cleaned but again I did not add anything to mine. Once you take it out it will make sense to you. Take lots of pics as you do it so you can remember how it all goes back together and lets us know how you make out. While you are in there clean out the air tube to the vacuum switch. I pulled the entire line out, blew it out good and cleaned the nipple on the side of the auger. It had a bunch of fines in it.

I did not oil mine. I did not see any oil ports on my auger motor. Compressed air to blow it out good. Others may recommend a drop or 2 of three in one oil in and around the bearing area but I did not. That would be last resort for me. The cleaning was enough for mine to stop the noise. The feed chute should be cleaned but again I did not add anything to mine. Once you take it out it will make sense to you. Take lots of pics as you do it so you can remember how it all goes back together and lets us know how you make out. While you are in there clean out the air tube to the vacuum switch. I pulled the entire line out, blew it out good and cleaned the nipple on the side of the auger. It had a bunch of fines in it.

Hey Mralias, your previous post with the pics of the auger just got my stove running again. I thank you!!!!

Glad they helped. That's what this forum is all about.

Have a couple more questions after removing the auger. Although it looked clean, I cleaned it good anyway.

Should the spring part turn by hand? Spoke to a quadrafire dealer (2.5 hours away) and they stated it should but mine doesn't. I borrowed my neighbors camera to provide some pics.

The spring turns freely when the nylon bushing and set collar are in place (even attached to the stove), but not with the motor shaft attached. In the 2nd pic, it looks like a brass bushing coming out of the motor but doesn't look like it can be replaced. So my verdict is the auger motor - any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Peach

Attachments

• 114_4047.JPG
    114_4047.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 114_4048.JPG
    114_4048.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 236
If it was mine I would use the auger till it stop working. But I would order one to have it on standby just in case. Unless the noise is unbearable or the stove does not function properly I would not replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.