Should this be happening...(pellet build up)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Englander PDVC =

This has been going on for a while now.. I have been getting excess build up in the burn pot. I just leaf blew / cleaned the stove a couple days ago.....Bottom 3 buttons I have set are 6-8-1
This is after a 10 hour burn, should this be happening after this amount of time?
Burning barefoot / somersets

20121228_202303 (1).jpg20121228_202311.jpg

I had the door open to take the picture. The flame is good / strong when the burn pot is not built up. I replaced the window gasket because that was fraying and I thought air was getting in there but, still same results.

I know I'm stating the obvious but it looks like an air flow issue. Did you clean behind the impingement plate....nooks and crannies and all?

I know I'm stating the obvious but it looks like an air flow issue. Did you clean behind the impingement plate....nooks and crannies and all?

Yes, even took my 1/2 inch hose, stuck it in the little hole that is behind there to make sure that was clean. Sucked out the small holes that are underneath the burn pot plate.

You said your bottom settings are 6-8-1......what is your heat setting at? When I had my pdvc, I never had the LFF that high.....it would def overfeed on the higher settings but I'm guessing this is what you always run it at?

What heat setting? You listed the bottom 3, but not the actual feed rate?

Also, the ash color looks good. A nice grey/light grey/white appearance. Which is kinda counter intuitive of a Slow burning/build up Fire?

Reactions: h2ochild
What heat setting? You listed the bottom 3, but not the actual feed rate?

Also, the ash color looks good. A nice grey/light grey/white appearance. Which is kinda counter intuitive of a Slow burning/build up Fire?

2- 9

I keep the lower settings higher than the heat settings, because for whatever reason, it uses less pellets and produces more heat.

I'd cut back the LFF to 4 or 5.....If your 'Sets are like mine, the pellets are on the small side so you should still get plenty going into the pot.....maybe it's overfeeding a bit? just an idea....

I'm guessing you pull the burnt ash out of the pot every few hours? I always needed to do that or the pot would fill up after 8 hours or so.

So here is a 10 hour burn, same settings, but burning North American's. Much better I think..

20121231_145637.jpg

I'd cut back the LFF to 4 or 5.....If your 'Sets are like mine, the pellets are on the small side so you should still get plenty going into the pot.....maybe it's overfeeding a bit? just an idea....
I agree. Leave the LBA at 8, and lower the LFF to 5 for a while (couple of hours, and clean the burn pot first), then clean burn pot again and try LFF at 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.