Should you ever hear a rumble noise from a catalytic stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie24361

Aug 13, 2008
Southwest Virginia
When I load my stove all the way up and fire it off, I can hear a roaring noise from the catalytic area. The area around where the stovepipe exits gets around 725 degrees but the stovetop stops at about 650. This is with the air turned all the way down. Is this normal? I only hear it when I load a really full load of wood. Learning how to do this right is harder than I thought.

At those temperatures, I'd be rumbling too! Seriously Ed, you've got me on that one.

Don't know if it's normal or not, but I have heard other VC cat stove owners say the same.

Ed, I use a VC intrepid ii that has a cat, when i close the damper and the cat lights off there is a definate rumble sound. Its one of the ways i can tell its lit. The other is to watch my chimney for smoke usually after a couple of minutes the smoke is gone and just heat waves coming out.... also rumble dosent last all the way through cycle. It dies down after a while. Hope this helps

jetmech said:
Ed, I use a VC intrepid ii that has a cat, when i close the damper and the cat lights off there is a definate rumble sound. Its one of the ways i can tell its lit. The other is to watch my chimney for smoke usually after a couple of minutes the smoke is gone and just heat waves coming out.... also rumble dosent last all the way through cycle. It dies down after a while. Hope this helps

Same here Ed

Same here. Usually one hear it when the stove is full and hot - and when the rest of the house is quite. Sounds like a muted rumble from the back of the stove and stove pipe area.
First couple times I heard it I damped down the air and watched the stove for a while. Noise stopped after awhile. Now it just seems normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.