Shoulder Season...good luck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SXIPro

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2009
Northern MA
Good grief, the way this autumn is going, I'm glad I spent a little extra for some nice high heat pellets instead of some garbage from a big box store that may have been OK for the 'shoulder season'. Shoulder season for 2009 is gonna be about 2 weeks long, tops. It's already 28 degrees and snowing in mid-October.

Y'all can keep your crap from HD and Lowes. I'll stick with these Okies that'll sweat you out of the room in ten minutes, if you let them. :)

I've been burning pellets for a looooooooong time. And pellets are the only heat source in my home. I've been through the pellet gluts and the pellet shortages so I have burned every flavor available in my area from garbage to pretty damn good ones. I pay close attention to ash. clinkers and all that jazz since I am the one that maintains my stove. I am totally impressed with the Okies. BUT, when my wife says to me "The light colored pellets you just got really throw a ton of heat, the ash pan is almost empty and the glass is staying clean" that is when I KNOW I've found a winner!

Okies,Okies,Okies thats all I am hearing this year. Too bad I can't find any in my area they would be worth the extra cost.

SXIPro said:
.. pellets are the only heat source in my home...

You don't have natural gas or an oil furnace for back up and you live year round in MA?

Same here, I've had frost on the car several mornings and it was spitting snow yesterday. Been keeping the pellet stove on for the last few days, it sure feels nice.
JB

Well....I am heating my downstairs of my Cape(approx. 750-800 sq. feet) PLUS an approx. 10x16 area that once was an exposed porch with a hip roof. I closed in that room so its an addition to the house now...completely well insulated. Its a room just like the house but with no heat in it. I keep my kitchen door open to it. We have had 28-34 degree nights....have been running my pellet stove....very warm...coming in from outside you would think there was a wood stove going. I run my stove on low and medium(Quad).

Pellets.... 240 a ton. Right from the big box :) Brands listed below. I've said it a thousand times in here over the few years....you get bad at dealers and you get bad at big box. In my case....my bad experience was at the dealer. Okies arent really that plentiful around here....but...imo, theres no reason at all why they cant be competitive in price. Canadian pellets are some of the best around and they dont have any problem keeping their prices in check. As seen in the past....some of these pellets that are bagged come directly from companies that are making premier pellets....same pellets...diff bag.

Happy heating!

Sure, I am stuck here burning the worst of the bigbox offerings, And you guys are branging about the Okies!

Not fair, I might have to stop this sampling and get to some real pellet burning if the wife gets cold.

jay

jtakeman said:
Sure, I am stuck here burning the worst of the bigbox offerings, And you guys are branging about the Okies!.......Not fair, ........jay

It's called "taking one for the team" :lol:

macman said:
jtakeman said:
Sure, I am stuck here burning the worst of the bigbox offerings, And you guys are branging about the Okies!.......Not fair, ........jay

It's called "taking one for the team" :lol:

OK OK, But the minute I get cold all bets are off! :p

jay

Xena said:
SXIPro said:
.. pellets are the only heat source in my home...

You don't have natural gas or an oil furnace for back up and you live year round in MA?

I have a propane furnace that I haven't used or even turned on in probably 8 years. Forced hot air. I hated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.