zrock Posted By zrock, Jun 18, 2018 at 7:43 PM

1. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Out atv club is looking for a better/faster way to brush out trail other than using brush saw. We came up with a idea of mounting a sickle bar to our trailer. Now how big can these cut. Most of the time it will be nothing bigger than 1 1/2. After the first pass and yearly maint it will just be fresh growth...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

2. Montanalocal

Montanalocal
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Helena MT
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    What we are thinking is finding one from a old tractor and modifying it to work off a stand alone hydro pump. Mount to our trailer and tow with a atv

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

4. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Is you current brush cutter a rotary flail mower? I think you'll get better results with one of those and they are widely available, either a walk behind or one to pull with your atv or a tractor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ashful likes this.
  5. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    our current is brush saws and all by hand.. takes a while when your doing a 100km trail..lol.. we are looking for a cheap and better way of doing it. Will look at your suggestion

6. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    This. Just picked up one for doing trails, myself. Mind the size though, the HP requirements aren’t negligible, and that’s an awful lot of extended counterweight to hang on a smaller tractor on rough trail terrain.

7. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Or maybe you could find one of the older horse-drawn units and tow it with the ATV.
    2494786.jpg

8. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Ya that type of mower has been recommended by a few people.. Only thing that concerns me is the operator and their would have to be a lead and tail machine set back for safety. I imagine things get todded out of those things at some point. I know how far my atv tire can toss a rock..

LOl i was actually thinking of one of those

9. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yes, definitely. The user manual on mine says something like, “Keep all personnel at a distance of several hundred feet, unless chain guarding is installed.” On that note, you can always install chain guarding, which really helps to reduce thrown objects. I don’t have them on mine, as they’re no longer available for that model.

10. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    This is the one I just bought. Took awhile to find one this small, so I bought this as a basket cast that required serious cutting and welding, but that was all quick work for me. Just used it for the first time on Saturday.

6c065f2089a37787d1366ef6dae3a3a1.jpg

kennyp2339 likes this.
  11. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Could use conveyor belting at a guard then it will still conform to the ground..

Going to be hard to find any of these options locally as stuff like this is not used in this area.. but hopefully something will pop up

12. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That’d be a surprise. Unless you’re in Los Angeles, you’re never more than an hour from something rural.

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/grd/d/working-brush-hog-spare/6622131200.html

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/grd/d/5-brush-hog/6622299834.html

13. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Closest for me is about 3 hours away if im lucky.. Im way up in the north. Not alot of use for them in the mountains..

14. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    I'd get a tow behind brush hog. They are pretty affordable used.