Side wall exit with drama

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
Drama part - convinced my brother to go with a Woodstock in his new house as I was installing electrical but we got into our second major fight so that's over. Anyone else out there have brother problems? But as I was looking at his proposed flue install I wondered: could a stove flue go up 8 feet, make a 45, change to class A, exit the wall at a 45, then 45 back up straight vertical? Except for cleaning issues, why not?

twin-wall-flue-example-3.jpg
Like this?

Last edited:
Drama part - convinced my brother to go with a Woodstock in his new house as I was installing electrical but we got into our second major fight so that's over. Anyone else out there have brother problems? But as I was looking at his proposed flue install I wondered: could a stove flue go up 8 feet, make a 45, change to class A, exit the wall at a 45, then 45 back up straight vertical? Except for cleaning issues, why not?
I think that photo of the "y" was a non-US install. Dura plus HTC says they have 45's but they are only allowed in Canada. All other duravent chimneys are only 15 or 30. I think you have to use a 15 or a 30. I don't know If they can be installed back to back or not to make a 45. Maybe some one will chime in as to why its onky allowed in Canada.

Sounds like your setting a freestanding stove and wanting to run single wall up to the ceiling and than go thru the wall on the 45 with chimney. I have never seen a freestanding stove installed that way. Zero-clearance fireplaces can be done that way, but your running chimney from the unit. I would have to look, but i don't think any of the referance material i have show anything like that either.

Back with an update. Ventis makes one through a non combustible wall.Too bad a manufacturer doesn't make what I want as aesthetically it would be more pleasing and a better system. What he ended up getting is a rear exit stove (it "looked" nice). So, the exhaust will exit, take a 90, go up 8 feet, take a 90, go outside then take another 90, then take a 20 to get past gable eve, then another 20 then exit. Wow. He could go straight out horizontally attached is a picture of what I think is best.jeffs porch overhang.jpg

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I can visualize what he is proposing. There are no 20º elbows, but there are 15º elbows. Your proposal makes sense and will vent better. Note in your proposal that the chimney pipe starts when it goes through the wall. At that point it would need a tee before going straight up.

Many manufacturers make class A 45's, and the directions say they are for gas and oil only, no wood. I'm not sure about Canada, although they are typically a little tougher than us regs. So I'm not sure why they would allow it?

2 elbows can be used back to back, as an offset though, not to make 60 degrees. Also keep in mind that some manufacturers don't allow elbows to be used outside the envelope of the structure.

25210463-450px.png
Yes I meant 15 degree, Ventis makes this for non combustible walls and to Begreens point yes a tee would be in order in the single 90 degree previous drawing. As mentioned my brother and I disagree on most everything and he has never operated a woodstove as where I have owned many in my lifetime. Does he ever ask my opinion? Nope. Why did he go with Woodstock? Sales tax was the motivating factor. Oblivious as to what Hybrid means or what an OAK is. At the beginning of the project I said to offset the placement slightly so the stack can go straight up. Nope, couldn't do it. Not "centered". So now he has 3 90's and 2 15's to deal with and this is a shoulder season stove. I just don't want to get to the "I told you so" part of the conversation when it doesn't operate to it's full potential or the place smells of smoke when the bath fan is on.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
View attachment 196493
. So now he has 3 90's and 2 15's to deal with and this is a shoulder season stove. I just don't want to get to the "I told you so" part of the conversation when it doesn't operate to it's full potential or the place smells of smoke when the bath fan is on.
;) With all those angles, I don't think the bathroom fan will even need to be "on".;)

Reactions: webby3650
It's too bad that something isn't made for this situation, (45 thru wall) seems logical to me.

It's too bad that something isn't made for this situation, (45 thru wall) seems logical to me.
Well, it's not a common install. The manufacturer would need to sell enough of them to at least break even. Not likely..

No an expert on this at all but how would you keep water from traveling down that angle?

Okay so for a rear exit stove , why not vent the stove straight through the wall at the into a Tee outside and go straight up from there. Granted you might need another 3' piece of triple or double wall but seems a lot easier than what you and your brother are trying to do. I also think it will draft 100x better than adding 2 or 3 more 90* elbows.

I like your idea but I don't think it is practical. In order to do what you want and you would need to run triple wall through the wall and use one of those rubber roof flashing boots on the exterior then need to build something around it to make it aesthetically pleasing inside and out. Also the elbows available for your idea are $400+ so it better be worth the look for that kind of money.

It certainly can be done if there is sufficient flue height and draft to make up for the long horizontal exit. A cold chimney and basement install might put the kibash on that type of installation due to weak draft and local negative pressure. Another problem with a directly venting out the rear and through the wall is that it locks in the vent height. This can be a problem if later on the stove needs to be changed out for another make/model with a different flue height.

What exact model did he get? The Ideal Steel?