Sierra stove model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thebearded1

Dec 4, 2018
Southern Maryland
This Sierra stove was in the house I purchased and the info plate is unreadable. Does anyone know what model it is? It doesn't look like the previous owners took care of it after seeing the broken fire bricks piled on the walls inside. Also what ever that plate is on the top of the inside of the firebox appears warped. Is it a stove worth keeping?
Measurements: 24" wide, 27"tall, 22" deep

IMG_20211112_204816763.jpgIMG_20211112_204822107.jpgIMG_20211112_204842000.jpg

Can't remember all of the model numbers but it is the pedestal version of my T-4500 insert from the mid eighties. Heated this joint for 21 years. It is now a meat smoker.

brownie-jpg.174934

Reactions: begreen
Can't remember all of the model numbers but it is the pedestal version of my T-4500 insert from the mid eighties. Heated this joint for 21 years. It is now a meat smoker.

brownie-jpg.174934

Sounds like it might be worth keeping then since it worked out for you for over 20 years. What's the plate in the top of the firebox for? It just sets in there with no bolts. Mine has a lot of ash on top but I can't get to it since the plate is warped

That is the baffle. Aids combustion and keeps heat in the stove instead of it going right up the chimney. Over time I replaced my warped baffle twice. I had new ones fabricated at a local metal shop.

One was so warped I had to put a jack in the stove and jack the droop out of it until I could take it out of the stove.

That is the baffle. Aids combustion and keeps heat in the stove instead of it going right up the chimney. Over time I replaced my warped baffle twice. I had new ones fabricated at a local metal shop.

One was so warped I had to put a jack in the stove and jack the droop out of it until I could take it out of the stove.
Thanks for the tip on removal! I found the same Sierra stove for sale on facebook and messaged the seller but the id plate was gone. I did notice in their photo the firebricks were positioned vertically across the back wall of the stove with nothing on the sides. Is this the correct setup?

Thanks
Gene

That stove has been run hard and put to bed wet. These old plate stoves are made thick and can take a beating.

I would ask your home insurance if they will cover you with that stove installed. You mentioned you bought a house with it, was a chimney inspection done as part of the buying process?

That stove has been run hard and put to bed wet. These old plate stoves are made thick and can take a beating.

I would ask your home insurance if they will cover you with that stove installed. You mentioned you bought a house with it, was a chimney inspection done as part of the buying process?
I was able to get the plate straightened out enough with a bottle jack so I could remove it, thanks @BrotherBart . Made a cardboard template of it in case I need to make another one later.

I was able to clean the stove out and it looks pretty decent on the inside with little to no rust or corrosion. There was no chimney inspection during the home inspection. It's just a straight shot of class a pipe through the roof. Clearances are good in the attic. I will give it a sweep and drop my camera down in the pipe before I fire the stove up. The insurance company just asked if there was a wood stove/fireplace and if it was the only heat source for the house. They didn't ask what type of stove maybe because the house also has a heat pump.

I'm still on the fence about using the Regency stove from my father in law. It would obviously be a great upgrade but the stove will take up a lot more room in my small alcove/hearth.