sight gage for expansion tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaddog

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2007
Hesperia, Michigan
We're using a 330 gal tank for an expansion tank and I'm wondering what I can use for a sight glass to monitor the water level. I know that I can buy them but was wondering what tubing would be clear enough and be able to withstand 170* at 30psi. I've got lots of vinyl tubing but I'm sure that won't hold the press at temp. Any other ideas on monitoring the level is welcome
leaddog

leaddog said:
We're using a 330 gal tank for an expansion tank and I'm wondering what I can use for a sight glass to monitor the water level. I know that I can buy them but was wondering what tubing would be clear enough and be able to withstand 170* at 30psi. I've got lots of vinyl tubing but I'm sure that won't hold the press at temp. Any other ideas on monitoring the level is welcome
leaddog

I use gauge glasses on large industrial style tanks that have gauge glass valves and pyrex type glass. They can run 50 psi anyway at 270 deg F. MOST IMPORTANTLY-tHESE VALVES HAVE BUILT IN "BLOW OUT" PROTECTION! Sorry for yelling-safety issue here. They will have a little ball check to stop any fast moving fluid in case of glass breakage. I think you can find this stuff at mcmaster.com. They just install on perfectly lined up pipe tappings. A differential level tranmitter with a readout could be used but that would be very expensive.

Mike

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know transparent pex was available . I'm well aware of the danger of a broken tube and I plan to have ball valves closed and only open to monitor
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.