Siloxane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I had my chimney sprayed with Siloxane recently. Some of the product got onto my asphalt shingles. Is it bad for the shingles in any way? Besides the staining? I believe it was Sure Klean

I thought siloxanes could dissolve bitumenous substances. I.e. your shingles.

While it won't dissolve them completely, this means that it would attack the integrity of the shingles.

What does the bottle/bucket/... say?

I thought siloxanes could dissolve bitumenous substances. I.e. your shingles.

While it won't dissolve them completely, this means that it would attack the integrity of the shingles.

What does the bottle/bucket/... say?
The company who completed the work contacted the manufacturer, who assured them it would not harm the shingles. The product literature states it is water based. I’ve found other Siloxane products that state it does not harm asphalt shingles. So I’m hoping for the best.

Some siloxanes do affect shingles.
It'd be best business to make stuff for this purpose that does not.

Take pics of the shingles showing the extent of the range where it got sprayed on. Then if those go bad in a while, you have some proof.

Some siloxanes do affect shingles.
It'd be best business to make stuff for this purpose that does not.

Take pics of the shingles showing the extent of the range where it got sprayed on. Then if those go bad in a while, you have some proof.
I’ve definitely taken pics. I’ve done some googling, and it appears that most of the water based chimney sealers say it won’t affect them. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: stoveliker
Maybe it's the solvents indeed. I remember a case 10 yrs ago where things went wrong. But I don't remember the details. (And didn't know siloxanes could dissolve in water )