Simple EKO 40 turbulator removal upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NateB

Feeling the Heat
Mar 5, 2013
South Central Pennsylvania
During my summer tear down of the of my EKO 40. I realized what everyone was saying about it being a poor design, so I made an upgrade. Now I can remove the top turbulator cover, remove 2 pins, slide out the bar that hold the tubulators, and pull the turbulators out. Now I can brush to my liking, and reverse the process. I don't have to remove any side panels, or stupid little bolts.

All you need is a 20mm bar(I used 3/4 bar cause that is what I could get for free.), a way to drill 3 holes in it, a short piece of pipe that will slide over the 20mm bar, and 3 pins to put through the bar.

I think I also identified the source of the slight smoke smell I always get when I have it running. I will find out when I fire it up.

I have pictures if anyone is interested. I just have to send them from my phone.

Also if someone from Orlan is reading this I will be happy to sell my patented idea to you at a very reasonable price. [patent pending]:)

65ab2067375bf41e4128f1e142966cb9.jpg

Glad I don't have to do this any more to clean my heart exchanger.

4b6d5aa81ea4ca743d808888ce8571aa.jpg
Pop the cover
d52a023c3fafcbf0dd6a972b9e15ad34.jpg
Pull the 2 pins(I used bolts)

0ef486ed38ee5325c76b19637b0bf150.jpg
Pull the bar

443fd21dfedc77b311df494a15b7bb40.jpg
Pull the turbs

51d714e3a2fef8e128eecb1f079bbeb0.jpg
This is the source of the smoke leak.
I fixed it with some 2000deg. sealer, and I think I will never have to remove it again.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Pretty clever but I still prefer not having the rod in there at all since it has no real value.

boiler turbs 001 resized.jpg

I can remove the top plate, hook the oversized top link on the chain turbs and drop them in a bucket in seconds.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Pretty clever but I still prefer not having the rod in there at all since it has no real value.

View attachment 186404

I can remove the top plate, hook the oversized top link on the chain turbs and drop them in a bucket in seconds.
Fred do you have any smoke smell at all? I have mine in the garage, so it is not that big of a deal, but I would like to have none.

Fred do you have any smoke smell at all? I have mine in the garage, so it is not that big of a deal, but I would like to have none.
I don't have any smoke smell with my EKO 25. Two reasons:
  1. Mine is so old that it doesn't have the factory turbulators and associated hardware.
  2. I did a high-temp silicone 'enhancement' to the top door gasket.
There are a few old threads that discuss this. Here's one.

No smoke smell unless I do something stupid. 3 or 4 times a year!
Got it pretty well sealed up. Used a solid piece of steel to cover hole where I removed the piece that the rod goes through the bulkhead.

I don't have any smoke smell with my EKO 25. Two reasons:
  1. Mine is so old that it doesn't have the factory turbulators and associated hardware.
  2. I did a high-temp silicone 'enhancement' to the top door gasket.
There are a few old threads that discuss this. Here's one.

Thanks Nofossil I was wondering what I was going to do with the rest of my tube of sealer before it dried out.

No smoke smell unless I do something stupid. 3 or 4 times a year!
Got it pretty well sealed up. Used a solid piece of steel to cover hole where I removed the piece that the rod goes through the bulkhead.

I have done my share of dumb things last year. I will see if it made me smarter or just more experienced this year.

View attachment 186404

This is the same as mine. Before the first fire ever, I pulled all that junk outta the way and installed the chain and horse halter ring in each tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.