Simple question for all those with solar PV....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, and I'd go bigger than I did the first time. With the price drops compared to three years ago, I think the overall price would be the same.

As it is, I'll probably add on another 4kW rack in 2 or 3 years, and I'm strongly considering a dual-axis tracker as I am looking ahead to the time when net metering may no longer be available and I'll want to optimize my production during a full day. Another option (if panels get cheap enough) is to just have a rack facing east and a rack facing west and skip the dual-axis tracker.

Reactions: woodgeek
Yes - the install cost today without incentives is less than the cost with incentives in October 2013. My system is maxed out on energy back feeding my main panel, and my production already exceeds my usage, although a future electric car will more than take the excess.

Yes, I didn't install my array to collect the incentives. I installed it because it was the right thing to do. Living on a tidal finger of the Atlantic Ocean, I have a much larger investment riding on this climate change debate than the cost of my 4.4kW array. Having lived on this same canal for 40+ years, I know where both high and low tide used to fall when I was growing up.

I will eventually install another ~4kW array as a ground mount in the backyard, after I equip our summer farm at 45.8°N with its own 4.6kW array.

Somewhere between those two projects, I expect I'll add a solar thermal panel, and take a little more business away from the local power company that flies their CEO over my house every morning at 8AM in the corporate helicopter.

Most likely yes, if solar panels were selling for what they cost today.

Without incentives, a very rough calculation (assuming no change in the cost of electricity or usage, or the net present value of $), my 12.75KW system would take 28 years to pay back. NPV pushes it out a lot further, while changes in the cost of electricity and usage bring it back some.

So, um, no. :(

Yes... but I pulled the old panels off (pre incentive) to take advantage off the Massachusetts incentives..available only to new installs.. the new panels were way more efficient

What can I say.. I'd clearly do it without incentive (because I did) but if someone is going to hand me a new system and a bunch of money, I'll say yes