Since everyone asked...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Hogwildz did a fantabulous job "helping" me get a liner in... I say "helped" like I did a ^$#@ing thing....

I'll post the best one first...

http://youtu.be/LZS1CZW14LY
http://youtu.be/m-_jZ4MUW5Y

Specs: 316Ti Stainless liner kit, 30' long, 6" diam., purchased from Rockford chimney
Included top plate & rain cap
1/2" insulation kit, foil-backed
Full kit cost $880

Lift is a NiftyLift TM40, 1 day rental $200, pick up Saturday afternoon, drop off Monday morning

Sweep's estimate: $2400 all in (still can't figure out why he wrote the bid for a 40' liner...)

Discuss.

Glad to hear (and see) all went safe and sound.

Did you put any heat to the liner yet?

pen

Test run last night, laid down a bed of coals and then stuffed the living bejeezus out of it with about 12 splits, more than ever before...

Not sure if this is due to the liner, but the fire was surprisingly controllable with nothing but primary air... was able to get it to 600 and hold it bang on for hours.

Can't wait for the rest :)

Good deal... glad to hear it all came out well. That boom looks like it was just the ticket and $200 for that time wasn't bad at all.

Thanks for the vids and thanks also to Hogz for his most generous gift. Time is our most precious commodity and he gave a whole days worth of his.

bluedogz said:
Hogwildz did a fantabulous job "helping" me get a liner in... I say "helped" like I did a ^$#@ing thing....

I'll post the best one first...

http://youtu.be/LZS1CZW14LY
http://youtu.be/m-_jZ4MUW5Y

Specs: 316Ti Stainless liner kit, 30' long, 6" diam., purchased from Rockford chimney
Included top plate & rain cap
1/2" insulation kit, foil-backed
Full kit cost $880

Lift is a NiftyLift TM40, 1 day rental $200, pick up Saturday afternoon, drop off Monday morning

Sweep's estimate: $2400 all in (still can't figure out why he wrote the bid for a 40' liner...)

Discuss.

I'm in driving distance, I could have brought beer and we could have watched as Hog did the heavy lifting! :lol:

Seriously, though. I'm glad everything worked out. Tip of the cap to Hog.

Knew he would end up on that roof. The Hog man does him some roof walking.

Hell of a job Hogz. Stuffing an insulated liner in that thing could not have been much fun.

BrotherBart said:
Knew he would end up on that roof. The Hog man does him some roof walking.

Hell of a job Hogz. Stuffing an insulated liner in that thing could not have been much fun.

LMFAO!
That is putting it lightly. Trying to wrestle it in, when the basket didn't quite reach, with the majority dangling over my should and the basket was a workout to say the least.
Worse was getting it 1/2 way down and hitting a lip in the clay liner. Not sure if Blue could hear me, but there was plenty of F's, S's and other choice words one would expect to come from my mouth.
So I pulled it back out and we hooked an eye bolt through the T cap, and a rope to the end. Still no go.
I knew I would have to spin the liner before even going down there.
Spinning while in the basket, and up and over the boom left me out of breath LOL.
But it dropped down to the NEXT lip. Spin again. This is when the words, there is no offsets or mortar ooze in the clay tiles came to mind LOL. But, we got it down.
So I ask, did the Hole in the T line up for the snout to mate with. That is when things started going really smooth. It was facing the right way.
Blue then says, can you pull it back up about a foot. I could not get the think to budge. The basket mind you was about 2' to 3' away from the old flue we were lining.
I could get no leverage. So I leaned over and laid one elbow onto the chimney cap and tried to pull up that way as leverage. The damn lift starts beeping.
Thats when the step ladder came out and was laid again the corner of the chimney, LOL.
Then spinning and raising and lowering went alot easier.
Oh, then the lift won't work while I am on the upper roof. Two front pads sank lifting the rear ones triggering the safety.
Of course we didn't find that out, until I have Blue put a ladder on the lower back roof, then pull it up and set it up from that roof to the upper roof so I could get down.
All in all, it was fun and rewarding to help Blue out.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Note, when you use a little lift like that, swinging it side to side.....go real slow, THAT, did make me nervous!
Felt like an amusement ride ready to go bad LOL. Lots of sloppy side to side swaying.
Guess I should have put the harness on. LOL.........Nah

LOL..... "Let's just see how it goes." The quote of the install ???

Very nice of you Hog. I love to see threads like this where one member can help another. The DIY saved you a grand ??? Well worth a few hours/ a day of work.

shawneyboy said:
LOL..... "Let's just see how it goes." The quote of the install ???

Very nice of you Hog. I love to see threads like this where one member can help another. The DIY saved you a grand ??? Well worth a few hours/ a day of work.

TBH, the help meant that I could burn the stove at all. We've been running REAL tight the last few years after the wreck that took my arm, and $800-some was all the savings we had. My dad ponied up for the lift rental. Without help from multiple sources that $800 would have gone to BGE over the winter instead.

I'll probly post another thread of 'lessons learned.'

bluedogz said:
I'll probly post another thread of 'lessons learned.'

Under lessons learned you might want to put down:
When it comes to lifts, get the next size up from what you think you need. A 60ft Gennie boom is very stable at 40ft, but a 40ft boom is not. I have used both.

Hogz and Dogz - good to hear that ya got the job done. And Hogz, if you get down to my neck of the woods, the first 20 beers are on me. :cheese:

Can I self-nominate for quote of the install?

Hogz observed that one of the boom feet was going to come down on top of the septic tank; to avoid it would mean moving the whole boom.
So, he waves me over and says, "You have a decision to make..."

To which I quite naturally responded "Shoot the hostage."

I received the blankest of all the blank looks I've ever received, I think.

Swinging and bouncing in those can be fun at times! Glad you got the job done Hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.