Single or double wall stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emorems0

Dec 30, 2022
Pennsylvania
Working on chimney upgrades to hook up a 2015 magnolia wood stove, but while I'm ordering chimney things, I want to get the stovepipe as well. I think I'd be okay with clearances since the whole area is masonry or stone and the closest combustible material is the drywall on the ceiling about 16 inches away from the edge of the thimble where a 45 will connect and point down towards the stove.

Should I use double wall stove pipe anyway? Will that help with draft and creosote formation considering I have to deal with a 90 degree elbow/tee into the masonry thimble?

I'm looking at the Rockford stove pipe, if that makes a difference, not the cheaper pipe that you have to snap the seam together. *the previous owner had single wall stovepipe going to an older pre-EPA stove apparently without issues.

20230108_151336.jpg

As long as clearances are not an issue, It probably won't make a big difference with this short run of stovepipe. An insulated liner in the chimney of sufficient height is more important in this case.

Thanks for the quick reply... the chimney is a whole other question that I've been updating in another thread, the more research I did, the more expensive and complicated it got, so I had a chimney guy come out this morning who had a much simpler approach... however, I'm concerned it isn't sufficient (though it would be less expensive and MUCH easier). Here's the link to that update https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...re-how-to-upgrade-chimney.196747/post-2643450