Single or double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Broken record here, I have 30 yer old stove pipe being used in the shop right now, good regular pipe last for ever.

Broken record that keeps saying something that is odd. It's broken alright.

Your experience is not typical and not to be expected or recommended to users.

Broken record that keeps saying something that is false. It's broken alright.

Your experience is not typical and not to be expected or recommended to users.

Others have reported the same, why do you say that?

We are not talking about one installation. The OP asked which provides the greater margin of safety. The answer is double-wall.

I installed a Morso in a yurt with on 4 ft of connector going to a 12 ft chimney using double-wall. Why? safety. The connector is low and easy to touch, it is connecting to a short chimney so keeping the flue gases as hot as possible was critical and it's in a highly flammable environment. Using double-wall connector there was a no-brainer. It's the safest option.

Last edited:
Others have reported the same, why do you say that?

I only hear you saying that single wall lasts forever. I know that it is not true. Same reason that car mufflers rot out unless they are SS.

I only hear you saying that single wall lasts forever. I know that it is not true. Same reason that car mufflers rot out unless they are SS.

When we have had threads discussing the issue many have reported haveng single wall for many years and still using it, maybe not 30 years but for a fair amount of time just the same, some even have had the cheap crappy single wall for a fair amount of time with no problems.
Having it go bad in three years is due to bad burning paractices.

Same reason that car mufflers rot out unless they are SS

Good point, people who drive short runs in a cold climate and dont burn out the moisture have more trouble then those who drive the required distance to get the system nice and warm.

To the OP, sorry for voicing my wothless opinion, install what the experts are telling you to do.

To the OP, sorry for voicing my wothless opinion, install what the experts are telling you to do.

I also have a stove with single wall, it is a safe option but not the safest and I expect to check on the condition of that single wall annualy to make sure that I don't have a failure. Maybe 3 years, maybe 30. Always be conservative when giving safety advice. Since we know that some users only get three years then I would never suggest a longer period for expected life of a critical component.

I also have a stove with single wall, it is a safe option but not the safest and I expect to check on the condition of that single wall annualy to make sure that I don't have a failure. Maybe 3 years, maybe 30. Always be conservative when giving safety advice. Since we know that some users only get three years then I would never suggest a longer period for expected life of a critical component.

Highbeam, I thought I was since he only has 3 feet of pipe and did not state any clearance issues.
Pretty sure I am not the only one on the planet who gets long life out of single wall pipe.
Having it go bad in a short periond of time is not normal. All the wet wood threads plus many other unsafe things people do with wood burners I am surprised you think its normal for single wall pipe to only last for a few years if correct burning practices are applied.

A wise person once said:

That must be a old post of mine when we were talking about the better single wall stove pipe and the cheaper stuff, after I posted that some one stated he has had the cheap stuff for several years with no problem.
I assumed the cheapie stuff did not last very long but that was a bad assumption on my part, I guess even that will last quite a while if good burning practices are followed.
I have never had the cheaper thin stuff my self.

When giving safety advice we must not assume the best case scenario. We must not assume dry wood, proper burning practices, or even expensive vs. cheap single wall.

When giving safety advice we must not assume the best case scenario. We must not assume dry wood, proper burning practices, or even expensive vs. cheap single wall.

If we had got that far I would have given him that advice.
My advice for the single wall stove pipe has always been the 22 gauge welded seam pipe.

If we had got that far I would have given him that advice.
My advice for the single wall stove pipe has always been the 22 gauge welded seam pipe.

With regard to "welded seam pipe" how do you cut that? Or, do you even cut that kind of pipe? The pipe I have is the kind that you get at the hardware store with a snap fit seam. I cut it while apart then snapped it together.

The snap together stuff is thin and most likely to fail in the shortest period of time. The elbows are not great and can fall apart if they are over adjusted or have been roughed up. 22 ga pipe is unusually heavy gauge pipe. DuraBlack is 24 gauge and tough stuff. You cut welded pipe with a red or green aviation sheer depending on the direction of the cut or with an electric sheer.

The snap together stuff is thin and most likely to fail in the shortest period of time. The elbows are not great and can fall apart if they are over adjusted or have been roughed up. 22 ga pipe is unusually heavy gauge pipe. DuraBlack is 24 gauge and tough stuff. You cut welded pipe with a red or green aviation sheer depending on the direction of the cut or with an electric sheer.

Bugger! That snap together stuff is all the hardware stores have around here… I'm going to have to find something online. Every time I try to research stove pipe, I get confused as to what I actually need - there are so many options it seems. I hear about this adjustable stuff and I don't completely understand how it works. Looking at the Dura Vent site, I can't for the life of me figure out what double wall pieces I need - you can't cut that stuff right? My thimble is 8" while my stove pipe is 6".

The snap together stuff is thin and most likely to fail in the shortest period of time
The last snap together pipe I bought for the shop (had no other option) and I hate the stuff was 24 gauge, one piece gave me grief the other one went together like it was supposed to
I needed more pipe I did not replace my 30 year old welded seam 24 gauge single wall black stove pipe.

Bugger! That snap together stuff is all the hardware stores have around here… I'm going to have to find something online. Every time I try to research stove pipe, I get confused as to what I actually need - there are so many options it seems. I hear about this adjustable stuff and I don't completely understand how it works. Looking at the Dura Vent site, I can't for the life of me figure out what double wall pieces I need - you can't cut that stuff right? My thimble is 8" while my stove pipe is 6".
Let us know what you need and we can help you out , single or double wall pipe.

Post a picture of the current thimble, stove location and a simple sketch with dimensions showing the thimble height to center, stove top height and horizontal distance from the center of the flue collar to the thimble.

Post a picture of the current thimble, stove location and a simple sketch with dimensions showing the thimble height to center, stove top height and horizontal distance from the center of the flue collar to the thimble.

Will do! Thank you greatly for your willingness to help! I'm going to put together a grouping of photos with measurements, description of my current set up to my best understanding, and a list of questions - In a new thread.

With regard to "welded seam pipe" how do you cut that? Or, do you even cut that kind of pipe? The pipe I have is the kind that you get at the hardware store with a snap fit seam. I cut it while apart then snapped it together.

It also cuts like butter with a side grinder and "cut off" wheel. The flimsier stuff may be a hassle, but we have 22g SS single wall, and I have cut it, and a neighbors flex liner, with a 4 1/2 inch Dewalt angle grinder and proper wheel. No problem at all.. and I have to say, a bit more common to find then aviation sheers.

Reactions: Christopix
Status
Not open for further replies.