single wall vs double wall stove pipe and overall heat transfer efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I am wondering how much heat gain you realize from a single wall stove pipe vs a double wall. In my installation plans I am going to have about a 6' run of stove pipe straight up and through the ceiling. I am going to be connecting into a 15' duraplus triple wall class A chimney. I am going to be running an englander 30 in this application. space is not a big concern in that I have the room to be 18" away from the wall in a single wall application but would like to save as much space as possible and am considering double wall to save a few inches. I have read some wood stove books from the 70s and 80s and they all talk about the added heat output from the stove pipe as being quite valuable. I am wondering if in the new epa stoves if I should consider heat from the pipe as significant or should I think of saving space and go with the DVL. Also the Englander manual says that the chimney should be no more than 25'. I feel that I am going to have plenty of draft as it is an interior chimney and from stovetop to chimney top it will be 21-22' high. Any thought on this set-up would be appreciated.

I would go with the double wall and get the better clearance. I have a 9' run of double wall straight up as well, and that thing gets HOT. You definitely still get good heat transfer. I am sure single obviously gets hotter, but I have never had it so I can't compare it. Something else to consider- I was told that double wall lasts longer. Anyway, considering you still get heat from the pipe, go with the double and reap the rewards of the clearance.

Single wall all you can! The surface area of one section could be the same as one side of your stove and will run a lot hotter= a lot more heat out .. New stoves do burn cleaner so if you are burning for heat go with the single. You can get it in stainless that you paint black all single wall is painted or enamaled. Just burn dry wood and in the burn zone .

The further out int a room a stove is the more heat you get off the stove.

"Heat-Fab 24 gauge all stainless steel pipe. This pipe is normally used to reline chimneys, but many of our customers use it for stovepipe. Used as stove pipe, this pipe should be at the top of this list. It is quite a bit more expensive and is not painted black, but.... you will never have to replace stovepipe ever again, ever! It is made exactly the same as the Heat-Fab 22 gauge, but is 24 gauge Stainless Steel pipe instead. Comes in 5" - 12" dia"

http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=27&pageStyle=M

I noticed the elbow angle fittings of the stainless pipe linked above are ribbed. Would this cause issues for build of air blow (wall friction).

aussieblake

Status
Not open for further replies.