Sirocco 25 vs Super LE inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sweetlou

Sep 25, 2020
Timonium, Md
I've been lurking through here for a couple months. I've read a lot of what is here on both of these inserts.

Both seem to be excellent performers, and from good manufacturers. The difference I keep seeing is burn time and the advertised btu's. But similar as far as what they both suggest as far as square footage coverage.

I live in a 2,000 square foot split level with the existing fireplace on the main floor. The idea would be to heat main and top floors (with the bedrooms) with the insert so likely only 1200- 1500 square feet. With any heat managing to make it's way to the rest of the house incidental. I have a 2 year old gas furnace as my primary source of heat currently and have a well insulated minimal draft house. I live in Maryland north of Baltimore, so winters don't get too cold relative to our northern brethren, but I could easily see burning from November through March.

I'm really asking if I should focus on the difference in stated btu's or just know that the Sirocco would keep up just fine with the Super LE output.

Both are good stoves that will do the job. They are two different designs. One is a catalytic stove and the other is a non-cat.

Really you're choosing between a cat stove and a noncat here. Both good brands. Cat vs. noncat is a frequent debate since both types are correct for certain applications with plenty of overlap.

The cat stove will put out a lower constant level of heat for a longer time and the noncat will provide a burst of heat for a shorter time followed by a cooling period. Both can do the job "on average". After having both types on the same hearth we very much prefer the constant output and even temperature of a cat stove for a home, especially overnight so that when you wake up the stove is still humming along with half a load left.

After much deliberation, 25 plus calls to dealers, and a few different dealers coming to check out the place for installation I've settled on the Sirocco 25 and will be posting updates on first burns, getting to know it and such. Thank you for your input that definitely helped in the decision making process.

I know @mellow had a good thread on it, to but figured I'd help out others as well.

Will look to do a year over year comparison of heating bills from just a gas furnace to that plus the stove. (Can't help it as a guy working in personal finance who's married to an engineer).

Looking forward to being part of this community

Welcome to Hearth! Looking forward to hearing your feedback. It should be interesting as a buddy of mine just went with the new PE LE instead of the BK 25 after much deliberation.
Plenty of BK knowledge floating around hear. Feel free to ask questions.

Reactions: Sweetlou
Welcome @Sweetlou and I have passed by your town many times over the years. As a 1 year owner of a Princess Insert, you will probably be very pleased with the Sirocco and the minimal tinkering it needs once up and running.

Hopefully you have already secured wood, preferably last year and it is seasoned to 20% moisture or better. If not you are likely to have subpar results this year. What is your wood situation?

Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem silly. No judgement zone here and we want to see you get the best results from your new unit.

Wood situation is good. Fall of last year I had gathered approximately a cord and a half worth of rounds of white oak (1.5 cords after split). Split immediately and has seasoned out in full sun with good air flow. Have another 1/2 cord of maple fully seasoned and split for a year and a half.

Have more to split during Thanksgiving weekend for 2021. I pick up what's available around me and tend to split immediately upon getting it home. So at any time I should have enough.

Also long term I'm working with my brother on his property to plant a grove of black locust staggered at year intervals about 10-15 a year for a 5 year rotation so in 6-8 years we'll have a fully set up home grown wood source. Yeah. I go all in when I make a decision on something.

Love Yardley. Great place. Lived in Kutztown for a couple years and drove all over Berks and Bucks for the job.

I'll definitely be asking questions. Looking forward to Thanksgiving week when it should all be up and running.

Not sure if the BK's still come with them but I would invest in a moisture meter so you can know for sure how your wood is.
Ordered a moisture meter. Will be checking each load. Hopefully have enough for next year already seasoning now, but may supplement with some purchased in the spring to be ready in time.

Just as a thought I found the 25 ran well with compressed wood bricks mixed in with slightly wet wood.

Thank you. I had looked at those as I build up my wood stock over the next couple years to equal consumption. Looks like a dealer or two right nearby so I'll definitely be trying them out. I had seen the post about the Woodstock stove that had gone incredibly long on the burn time with just these in there. All of the posts indicating that firebox being nothing more than a pretty fuel tank and of course my inquisitive nature going to lead to a series of posts I'm sure.

I'll buy you a Burley oak, @mellow when this insanity clears up.

So after delays of trains across the country and inclement weather during the install date yesterday tomorrow it should go in prior to an evening where we're expecting 10"+ of snow. Look forward to learning here. Have wood inside to not steam and damage my cat right off the bat. So here is the before shot. Look forward to the install shot tomorrow.
IMG_20201215_113956035.jpg

Install finally done at long last. Looking forward to years of joy from this insert.

Have to figure out how to get the shroud to rock gap really covered. Rock wool for now but from the side doesn't look great. Possibly metal strips. We'll see. For now happy with the heat. Here is the first fire and straight on shot.

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_121649166.jpg
    IMG_20201216_121649166.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 124
Looks great.
Perhaps gaps at the stone just let out more passive heat anyway...... Worth experimenting.

Liner insulated. Top cap, rock wool at top of old smoke box packed in. They'll come back out for the block off plate after getting those measurements today since I requested that added after reading your stuff from before and others recommending it as well. Definitely a powerful curing smell, but got windows open and will keep a small fire burning for a few days to get it all the way cured/broken in.

Thank you all for all the help getting here. Only question I have for now is, what the hell took me so long to get one of these?

@BKVP tell those back at the shop thank you for this. Kids already found their favorite spot right in front here.

Will be reporting back to all on updated burns etc and will definitely be reviewing after I get a better understanding of everything

Reactions: BKVP
It looks good in there. Will be watching for updates.

Now the install is done it is easy to detach the liner connector to the stove, just 4 bolts and its off, but you might need to get a new gasket. Run it for a bit and see how it heats, if you feel you are loosing heat to the fireplace I would recommend pulling the insert and insulating the inside of the fireplace to keep the heat IN the fireplace hole, not escape to the outside world.

Cement board found at the big box stores works good, and if you can fit roxul behind it, even better:

insulated-fireplace-2-jpg.124035

Yup. Will run it through the winter. And if needed will do that adjustment in the spring. Already pretty impressed with the burn times etc. 12 hours on medium with oak splits not jam packed with plenty of coals in the morning to light it back up.

Woke up had a cup of coffee in front of last night's load before even bothering on the reload. Figured it's probably better to be caffeinated before I start reaching in with logs.