Sizing Chimney for Defiant Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ms440

Apr 6, 2006
Maine
Well it looks like I will be picking up a 2002 VC Defiant Catalytic from a friend, used two years. He has it in his basement and got frustrated, and then bought a wood boiler. I checked it out today and it is mint. Anyway he is running a six inch pipe into masonary chimeny. The stove will be going into an addition and I will be having a metal chimney put in. The application will be pipe up to a ceiling box, then straight up through an attic area, then through the roof. My question is what size chimney should I go with, 6 or 8?Thanks

Lucky you! I believe 8" is preferred. But it depends somewhat on the length of the flue and altitude of the installation. With a 6" flue the unit can not be operated with the doors open. VC should have the manual posted on their website.

Thanks BeGreen. I try to think long term, if I change stoves down the road, witht he 8' be Okay for a 6' stove above the ceiling junction? I don't want to think to hard here, just trying to cover all my bases. Thanks!

In many cases it will be, but it depends on the stove. Some require stronger draft than others. How tall will the flue be from stove to cap?

from stove up to a 8' ceiling i( so about 5' of pipe ) into about a 6' attic area above collar ties (10 pitch roof) then it exits next to the peak, and I'm not sure how high to go from there. I am thinking at least 5 or 6' from there in order to get a good draft, suggestions welcome. Thanks

So ~15-16 feet of flue? I think you'll be ok either way. It should work with 6" pipe and it would be less expensive. The majority of new stoves seem to be going this direction, so you should be ok, with the earlier caveats.

What were your friend's complaints with the Defiant?

That it wouldn't heat his house. It is a two story. His basement is uninsulated so it is no suprise that it wasn't working for him. I also wonder if how dry his wood was as I seem to remember him complaining about running the cat. He also told me that he just couldn't get used to having stove in his house. The OWB seems to be more his thing, and since his is in a very rural area it doesn't seem to bother anyone. I would have loved to give him some suggestions but it was before I stopped by here.

i believe the defiant encore is preferred 8". you can use 6" but not for open burning with a screen.

A little fact missed the oval adapter reduces the cross-sectional are of the pipe from the get go os a round 6" is not all that far off I use my Defiant Encore with a 6" flue collar

works fine for me all interior chimney vented into an 8/8 clay flue

Status
Not open for further replies.