Sizing round liner thru smaller square damper hole to square chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark10

Dec 2, 2005
This site has been a great help & thank you for your efforts.

We bought a home (30 yrs old) with a wood burning insert " Warnock Hersey - Decorator Insert I"
I removed it to inspect & saw the following:
1. Baffle plate (in front of the exit flue opening inside fire chamber) is loose fitting
2. No direct connection from insert to chimney
3. Creosote has covered all the side/top walls of the firebrick in the fireplace & the smoke chamber prior to the chimney
4. The damper opening is framed with a cast iron frame 4 3/4" x 30"
5. The exit flue on the insert is 7" dia
6. The chimney is lined with terra cotta with interior size of 6" x 10"

Can I reline the entire chimney with 6 " flex stainless? if the insert is 7"?
Are 7" round to oval transition liners available? that will flex to meet the rectangular 6" x 10" chimney?
If so, do I remove the damper cast iron frame ( 4 3/4" x 30') so the new 6" liner will fit?
Will this then require new sheet metal adaptor to block the space around the new liner?

If no to all the above, what are my options?...buy a new insert with 6" exit flue

Thanks for your help.
Mark

Warnock Hersey Is the name of the testing lab not the name of the stove

1. Baffle plate (in front of the exit flue opening inside fire chamber) is loose fitting
Many older stoves just had them resting on top of fire brick or angle iron this is common
2. No direct connection from insert to chimney

Its a wonder the original people lived long enough to sell the home. A direct connect and metal damper plate is your safest option
Not only your stove draft and run better. but the metal damper plate will prevent exhaust gasses escaping in the living space

3. Creosote has covered all the side/top walls of the firebrick in the fireplace & the smoke chamber prior to the chimney

This shows that exhaust gasses were not making it all the way into your clay chimney. Amazing they are alive and did not get aphixiated or burn down in a chimney fire.

4. The damper opening is framed with a cast iron frame 4 3/4” x 30”

Since you are not intending to use the damper, I suggest breaking or cutting it out. This will allow you more flexibility to run a liner pipe without crushing it to pass threw the damper

5. The exit flue on the insert is 7” dia

This must be a lat 70's or early 80" stove probably not very air tight, that is the type that opted for 7" flue collars. My suggestion would be to use an 7" to oval liner to match the same cross- sectional area somewhere around 45 sq inches a 6/8 oval 5/9

6. The chimney is lined with terra cotta with interior size of 6” x 10”

Can I reline the entire chimney with 6 “ flex stainless? if the insert is 7”?

Code wise no, would it be a vast inprovement a full liner yes, but you need to match the cross-sectional areas

Are 7” round to oval transition liners available? that will flex to meet the rectangular 6” x 10” chimney?

7" is an odd ball collar size almost never used on modern stoves. You will have to search the internet for that answer. I cannot say if it is.

If so, do I remove the damper cast iron frame ( 4 3/4” x 30’) so the new 6” liner will fit? yes remove the metal damper frame
Will this then require new sheet metal adaptor to block the space around the new liner? Yes

If no to all the above, what are my options?...buy a new insert with 6” exit flue

30 years old, all the evidence of not being effecient, cresote in the damper area. Even if you line your chimney plan to clean it often as cresote build up will occure equally as often. I really think the stove ran its life cycle. If looking for a cheaper solution, Englander's from Home depot might fit the bill. At least they are EPA approved for clean burning, and two or three times more effecient that your existing stove. I do not know what you can budget, But others have inserts and can make recomendations. The other factors are to post the size of your existing fire place opening and depth. Plus explain your floor plan, an insert with a blower option or not

Status
Not open for further replies.