Sizing wood stove properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
… where I live was a major spot for smuggling rum during prohibition era ...

Here's an excellent, very enjoyable series of books on rum-running. The last one, "Rum Row" is pretty much just extracted from the other books, which are first-hand accounts. I highly recommend them (can skip "Rum Row"). Very enjoyable reads! Worth asking Santa for them. :)

http://www.flathammockpress.com/prohibition.html

This one is in mint shape, 10 years old. though.

I also just purchased a 10 year old Pacific Energy Summit in great shape.

The stove is fabulous. Long burn times, great heat. Mine's stuffed into a fireplace opening, so I can only imagine how much heat these things throw as free standers.

I find it pretty user friendly in terms of generating heat. I'm still figuring out minor quirks, like trying to minimize excessive coaling. Coming from a 80's Dutchwest CAT stove, this is a dream.

It will burn for 12+ hours. Highly recommend.

Been looking online for a BTU calculator but they all seem to be for sizing stoves to a room and not a house!

A stove is primarily a space (room) heater. If you are hopeful of heating your whole house, you should think furnace.

How much are they asking for the Summit and in what condition? Do you have a picture or two of the insides and outside of the stove? It's a great stove and would work for your application, but it's only a good deal if in nice shape and the price is right.

It is a centre hall plan with hallways up and down of just under 6 feet wide so plenty of space to move heat and I have a ceiling fan to install upstairs. Old photo before the windows updated.
View attachment 234176
Looks like Lunenburg to me...

Looks like Lunenburg to me...

I was going to ask what province. There are a lot of towns in this one with places that look like that that used to be owned by sea captains. Some I'm sitting real close to at the moment.

Oh the year was 1778, how I wish I was in Sherbrooke now...

I was going to ask what province. There are a lot of towns in this one with places that look like that that used to be owned by sea captains. Some I'm sitting real close to at the moment.

When a letter of marque came from the King, to the scummiest vessel I've ever seen...

Looked like a "Lunenburg Bump" on the front of the house...