Sizzling Ceiling Box??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
Got home from work today and started a fire. No day fire today - the first time the furnace has kicked on in over a week. As I really got her rolling, I started to hear sizzling from my ceiling box, even saw a bit of steam squeeze out from the connection. I got into the attic to have a look, at the bottom of the box was about 1mm of moisture around the pipe . The SS Dbl wall pipe in the attic was hot and dry. After a coupla minutes, the sizzling stopped and all is well.

It has been raining here since last night. I have flashing, a chimney cap, and about ten feet of pipe from the roof, should there be any rain water at the bottom of my ceiling box? On a scale of 1-5 how concerned should I be about this? Five would be the most concerned. I'm supposing I'd should be more concerned about this in the summer rains when I'm not running the stove.

It is possible that you were burning creosote inside the pipe. When we did the last breakin fire with my grandmother's Lopi Liberty, the same thing happened, and you could see little bits of creosote falling into the stove from the open bypass damper. The creosote was there from when she operated an old Fisher with the same stainless steel chimney system.

It might warrant an inspection and a sweep if it's been a while. Of course I could be way off base here.

Is there a bead of silicone around the rim of the storm collar that sits above the flashing cone on the roof?

BeGreen said:
Is there a bead of silicone around the rim of the storm collar that sits above the flashing cone on the roof?

and the seam on the ring my instructions on my thru the roof kit said to silicone both the gap between the collar and pipe and the seam on the collar

I've actually had a small amount of water drip from the ceiling box. I need to get the installer out here.

Ken

I'd be fine if the installer would just return my call and offer his perspective on the matter. The install was just over a month ago.

If the storm collar is sealed good, could condensation be at play here?

Consider the conditions.
Rainy day.
Stove with no fire but could be drafting...?
Furnace kicked on.

Condensation doesn't seem likely to me but given the conditions, it may be worthy of consideration.

First thing to check of course is the obvious; if the roof is leaking via the flashing. There is another source of water dripping from the ceiling box that isn't quite so obvious though; condensation. Your ceiling box needs to be caulked to create a vapor barrier between your warm and relatively humid living area and the cold attic or it will drip condensed water. This is someting that's not in the instructions and apparently often overlook by the, shall we say, less than stellar installers that might know a lot about stoves and chimneys, but no so much about construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.