Slab pine picture - The Shelburne Museum, Vermont.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
This is a White Pine slab from the Shelburne Museum in Vermont. 36" wide, about 14' long and 4" thick. It looks like it was sitting there for decades. I'm not sure if this is big, but found it interesting. I'll be putting other pics of stoves and other interesting items I saw while there.

Attachments

• DSC09691.jpg
    DSC09691.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 384
Yes indeed, some pines get pretty darned big. Here in MI is the Hartwick Pines where many years ago they cut thousands of acres of virgin white pines and they were huge things! Fortunately we still have a small area of them at Hartwick Pines State Park.

I think the shape is more interesting than the diameter. They can get 2/3 of that width in around 100 years. In better soil than the ADK mountains have they might be able to reach that diameter in less than 100.

Matt

I guess you could count the rings, but it would take a long time to grow that in most of New England with the sandy, rocky soil.

I just fired the kiln and will be asking for boxes soon. Sorry to wait so long on that.

PA. Woodsman said:
Wait till Smokinjay gets his paws on that lol.....

Nice slab, but I can do it with Black Walnut. ;-)

Adios Pantalones said:
I guess you could count the rings, but it would take a long time to grow that in most of New England with the sandy, rocky soil.

I just fired the kiln and will be asking for boxes soon. Sorry to wait so long on that.

No problem, ready to go anytime. I hope the firing went well, put up some pics if you can. That was also a nice write up about your dad the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.