Slate hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletHog

Oct 28, 2007
Western MA
I had some extra slate from a job, so I made a 3/4 inch plywood platform as a base for the hearth. I covered it with cementboard then cut the slate to fit. I bought some tiles at home depot as a border. Came out pretty good, at least I think so!

hearth1wz2.jpg

It looks like the tile in my hallway,except my red tiles are much more muted. I think it's great for a hearth, but I have to admit I hate the tile in the hallway. There's not enough light in the room anyway and the dark floor doesn't help. I've been dying to tear it up and put something else in. Too bad I didn't think of using part of it for the hearth. That would have been a great excuse to replace it. What you have looks great.

Turned out damn nice. The tile border makes it cool & unique.

Looks great; the slate with the border adds some great color.

Status
Not open for further replies.