Slate Slab Fireplace Surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I have recently built a new home and installed a high efficiency wood fireplace in it. I was going to have the fireplace surround done in brick but I have been thinking of using slate slabs instead. I have access to a few old snooker tables that I could use the slate from to build the surround. Has anyone ever done this or heard of someone doing it?

We install slate around wood & gas burning fireplaces...
What we offer is only 1/2 inch thick...
I imagine a snooker table has something beefier... 1 inch?
If you can cut it, you should be able to use it, but you're gonna hafta put
something (MICORE) more under the hearth in order to pass code for the r-values...

What do you mean when you say I may have to put something under the hearth for R value? The slabs are 1 1/4 thick. Heavy!!

Hurtin’ Albertan said:
What do you mean when you say I may have to put something under the hearth for R value? The slabs are 1 1/4 thick. Heavy!!

Yep. Heavy, but stone - by itself - is not approved for a hearth unless it's about 4" thick.
You still need to put MICORE underneath the stone & you're gonna need
some kind of sheet metal spark strip under the edge of it (where it meets the fireplace),
to prevent any hot embers from getting to your subfloor...

Hurtin’ Albertan said:

Here in Bangor the Fire Inspector requires listed floor protection as stated in NFPA 211 . . . and to him "listed floor protection" means it has to have been tested by an independent lab (i.e. UL, FM, etc.) and be approved for that purpose, i.e. hearth protection.

I once asked him why this is when a person could put down a big slab of stone . . . as he said to me then . . . it doesn't matter since he has no idea personally of what kind of temps that stone could sustain, how well that stone insulates (the R value), etc. For example, you can have a very thick material that may provide plenty of hot ember protection (many stove manufacturers only require ember protection, but the Code requires listed floor protection) but that same material may not provide much thermal protection.

This said . . . I like your idea and think it would look sharp. Check out your stove's required R value (if there is one . . . as I said some stove manufacturers do not have a specific R value requirement) and if there is none just buy some 1/2 inch listed Durock (just be aware that supposedly there is a new Durock product which may or may not be out now which will not be approved and listed as a hearth protection).

Uh, the OP said a fireplace surround. He's not talking about building a hearth.

myzamboni said:
Uh, the OP said a fireplace surround. He's not talking about building a hearth.

Ooops . . . now I sound as stupid as I look. :)

In this case . . . if the "surround" is in fact just the area surrounding the fireplace and not floor protection I wouldn't think there would be any issues.

Good catch MZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.