Sledding Pictures 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
finally started my sled today so we went on a small ride, pics 2189 & 90 are from the state park, pic 2192 are on the county trails and the rest of the pics are from our property.

There isn't much of a base so it would be nice for some heavier wet snow for a better base.

Attachments

• 101_2189.JPG
    101_2189.JPG
    817 KB · Views: 341
  • 101_2190.JPG
    101_2190.JPG
    771.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 101_2192.JPG
    101_2192.JPG
    888.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 101_2193.JPG
    101_2193.JPG
    816.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 101_2194.JPG
    101_2194.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 326
  • 101_2196.JPG
    101_2196.JPG
    908.1 KB · Views: 314
Reactions: SpaceBus
Someone told me VT got 18 inches this weekend. Never saw the storm.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Someone told me VT got 18 inches this weekend. Never saw the storm.
That's about the same we received but it was sugar snow, not great for getting a good base started.

Did it finally stop raining in PA?

Little to know snow here not worth starting the sled
:(

Little to know snow here not worth starting the sled
:(
This Saturday and Sunday Intellicast has us getting 13 - 20 inches, what's your forecast for those days with this new storm coming in?

Our forecast says 10 to 20 cm (5 to 10 inches )
I will believe it when it happens they have been
totally wrong so far this winter. Last time they forcast
20 cm it pissed rain for 2 days

Went out on my first ride this past weekend after trailering to Medway (not enough snow down home) . . . did 145 miles or so with a ride up through Matagammon and down to Shin Pond. One guy accidentally went off trail . . . spent close to an hour digging him out as the snow was 3-4 feet deep in places.

Went out on my first ride this past weekend after trailering to Medway (not enough snow down home) . . . did 145 miles or so with a ride up through Matagammon and down to Shin Pond. One guy accidentally went off trail . . . spent close to an hour digging him out as the snow was 3-4 feet deep in places.
It sounds like you had a great time @firefighterjake. The last two years and this year we've had chit for snow until later February and last year March was when we received most of our snow.

We had planned for a longer ride on the county trails but a bunch of the trails are either shared or closed because of logging.

The first two pictures are the county trails and the rest are from our property.

IMG_2197.JPG IMG_2198.JPG IMG_2199.JPG IMG_2200.JPG IMG_2201.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple photos . . . not all that great. One is from a scenic view . . . another shows the Arctic Cat (when it went off trail for the second time that day. This one wasn't so bad . . . the third time was when we spent an hour or so getting him unstuck.)

Attachments

• Sleda.jpg
    Sleda.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 266
  • sledb.jpg
    sledb.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 262
We took the sleds for a small ride on our property, attached are some pictures.

Attachments

• 101_2204.JPG
    101_2204.JPG
    772.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 101_2205.JPG
    101_2205.JPG
    804.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 101_2206.JPG
    101_2206.JPG
    784.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 101_2207.JPG
    101_2207.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 101_2208.JPG
    101_2208.JPG
    870 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: firefighterjake
We want for a ride on the snowmobiles on the county trails, they weren't that bad for the amount of rain we received. Once we came back we (I) decided to go for a ride on our property so the wife followed, it was going good until we were in the big ravine where we had to stop because a big ole basswood was across the the majority of the width of the ravine.

My sled was stuck pretty good so we were able to get my wife's sled turned around so I could come home for a tow strap,d-shackles and a shovel which did the trick. I would've had pictures but the camera was in the rhino.

Our ride was made shorter with the wind and the snow coming down harder once we made it to the county trails, not a sled or groomer had been on the trails since we received the 5-6 inches of snow.

Picture 2231 is just starting out on the county trail, 2232 is from further down the trail, 2233 is a snapped of beech just off the trail and 2234 is a widowmaker over the county trail.IMG_2234.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2231.JPG
    IMG_2231.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 245
Today we went for just over 20 miles on the sleds, not another sled out there.IMG_9045.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9044.JPG
    IMG_9044.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: firefighterjake
Heading out tomorrow . . . riding from Shin Pond Village to the lost locomotives and tramway via Libby Camps (lunch and gas stop) . . . if all goes as planned.

And here I thought I was going to see some actual sledding pics. Never heard the term used for snowmobiling. But then again, never owned a snowmobile.

Reactions: SpaceBus
And here I thought I was going to see some actual sledding pics. Never heard the term used for snowmobiling. But then again, never owned a snowmobile.

If you were in Alaska they would be talking about "snowmachining" and riding the "snowmachine" . . . took me a few minutes to figure out what my sister and brother-in-law were talking about when they first used the term.

190 or so miles . . . quite cold outside.

A few issues. Signs were pretty good until the last 16 miles and then they were pretty much non-existent. Ended up riding down a snow covered road for miles before figuring out it wasn't the trail.

Found the trail to the lake . . . and then it was 15 miles of rough, snow-blown riding with a lot of "whoop de doos" to contend with . . . didn't help that it was snowing and with the gray sky and snow it was hard to see what was coming up.

Made it to the locomotives and tramway. Took a few pics and then headed back . . . and got lost again. Rode a few more miles on the road . . . ended up riding back on the lake.

Got quite low on fuel . . . but eventually with some help from some other riders we made it back to Libby's Sporting Camps (a neat place in its on respect with a lot of history -- quite rustic) where we ended up eating lunch . . . at 5 p.m. . . . about 4 hours or so past when I was planning. Met our waitress who had an accent . . . turns out she lived in the Dominican Republic, moved to New York City and then was looking for a job where it wasn't so crowded . . . trust me . . . Libby's would definitely qualify. To get to their vehicles they have a two mile hike/sled ride out to the road.

Realized I lost my GPS partway back . . . sadly I am 99% sure of where I lost it as I was reading a plaque on the trail and heard something smack against the train . . . at the time I figured it was a chunk of ice or snow. Unfortunately there was no time or enough fuel to turn back to retrieve it.

Return trip from Libby's to Shin Pond in the dark was mostly uneventful except the guy in the lead forgot about a 90 degree turn and blew the corner and we had to spend some time digging him out.

All in all . . . a good trip.

Sorry there are not many photos . . . it was just too cold to stop and take many photos.

If anyone is interested in reading the history of the locomotives and why they were never sold, scrapped, etc. and just left to rust in the northwoods of Maine . . .

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/discover_history_explore_nature/history/allagash/index.shtml

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 233
Real sledding video posted by a friend. With the recent snows some of Seattle's streets are closed off to cars. They are just too hilly. Perfect for a long sled run, just watch out for the dogs.

Reactions: SeanBB
We hit the trails for a quick 30 mile ride today, what a beautiful day for a ride. They still have certain trails that you can't ride because of logging that's going on.
101_2257.JPG

Where were you riding Hoss?

Did 176 miles yesterday. Unity to Hermon for lunch at Dysarts . . . and back via some different trails.

Headed out this morning after going to breakfast . . . ended a bit earlier than planned.