Slight smoke smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first ran my pellet stove I smelled smoke, there was a leak a the first pipe connection, red silicone fixed that.

Never smelled smoke again, you have a leak.

slls said:
Never smelled smoke again, you have a leak.

I agree....I had a slight leak last year when I first hook-up my Astoria, but fixed that....never smelled anything after that.

hmmm, will need to check my englander piping....

I also agree, It should not smell in the house.

I used a drop light while the stove was running to find my leaks. High temp silicone or Aluminum tape will fix it. Aluminum tape on the joints you need to remove later(Cap on clean out tee ect). I checked every joint very close. you will see it.

Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
I also agree, It should not smell in the house.

I used a drop light while the stove was running to find my leaks. High temp silicone or Aluminum tape will fix it. Aluminum tape on the joints you need to remove later(Cap on clean out tee ect). I checked every joint very close. you will see it.
this is a different & patented pstove with a combo pressurize/depressurize system called combex. i dont think u can test for leaks with the door open

I mean stove burning fuel running. Dime the lights in the room and use a drop light and closly inspect the pipe. Trust me you will see the slightest smoke wisping from a leak.

I always have a slight smell when the stove starts up. Use High temp black RTV(available at any auto store) on all edges, and couplings.

Mark

Do like JT said
Shut lights off and take a flashlight and inspect the joints in the pipe (at startup when the chamber is full of smoke is the best time).

Hopefully the neighbors don't call the police when they see the flashlight..... :lol:

I just did a test. I turned off the lights and turned on the pellet stove. I took a flashlight to it and inspected the pipes. I didn't see any smoke. The only thing I noticed was some air coming out the back but it felt cool. I'm assuming this is a fan to help with controlling the heat of the unit. There were a few pet hairs on the aluminum tape that connects to the unit. I noticed them moving around a bit but I didn't see any smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.