Sloped Yard wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EagleATC

Jan 24, 2020
Valley Forge adjacent
I have used all the flat yard I am able to occupy for about two cords of wood. I have more wood from dead ash trees that I would like to process and stack, and have some sloped yard that I am trying to utilize with mixed results :). I am curious if anyone is familiar with any Yankee ingenuity for such an endeavor. Curious thoughts on how a holz hausen would fare? Calculation comes to between 15- 20% gradient. I understand that a retaining wall and filling the area may be the solution, but is there another way that I am unaware of? Thanks

Use big concrete blocks on one side and small flat blocks on the other. Dig them into the ground to make them stable and level for your 2x4 or 4x4 base rails to rest on.

Reactions: EagleATC
Here is my firewood on a hillside.

100_1269.JPG

Yea, and you can put down inexpensive cedar fencing boards underneath. They are very rot resistant and keep the rounds from sinking into the mud during wet weather and freezing to the ground.

100_1520.JPG

My woodshed is built on a steep hill. In front the concrete block foundation is 16 inches high. In back the blocks are 64 inches high.

IMG_0996.JPG

All three are exactly what I was referring to. Thanks. A wood shed is in the planning along side a new pole barn style workshop... hence why I didn't want to build something currently... just stack and dry on the hillside. Regards all. Thanks

Thought... if I combined the cedar planks with the hillside stack and built 'train tracks' out of the cedar fencing (two parallel pieces with cross ties) Then potential I could spike the 'rails' down and the 'ties' would help from downward migration. Thoughts? I have 6' "t' posts to drive on the down hill leg as a buttress also. (Although looking at the original hillside stack, it's simplicity is the gentle natural arch ).

My cedar fencing boards have never migrated downhill. I add to and take away from the uphill side. The downhill side stays put.

I filled my sloped site with gravel before building the 16x12 woodshed. I learned that a power driven post hole digger is not useful in new gravel. Digging down to sink the posts in solid ground the auger just caused the gravel to fill back in on itself. Might have done better to sink the posts on the low end first.