Slowing down the coal burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2005
I have, (in a concrete block 16X16 shed ) a pot belly stove. This stove, while lined with firebrick, does not have a provision for gasketing around the doors. As a result of no gasketing, it is difficult to slow down the burn rate of the coal.
I have closed the dampers and the manual draft in the pipe, which helps allot, but i am looking for ideas about slowing even further.

One thing I have heard, is to dust the surface of the burning coal with ash to impede the draft. Similarly I have heard of laying some pea coal on top of the nut that i am using.

What about increasing the draft above the fire to divert some pressure from below?

Any ideas..

My Efel at home can be slowed down to a surface temp of between 200 and 350

Status
Not open for further replies.