Small crack and flue collar gasket questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

therealdbeau

Burning Hunk
Oct 16, 2018
VA
Couple quick questions for anyone who can help. Re-doing the piping for my stove and came across a few concerns..

Do I need to replace this gasket beneath the flue collar? Not sure if this is a one and done deal. Seems kinda flat and insignificant honestly. Stove is only a year old.
IMG_20190805_210504.jpg

Also, found a teeny crack near the primary air inlet holes. Should I be concerned about this..
IMG_20190805_214757.jpg IMG_20190805_214746.jpg IMG_20190805_214738.jpg

Thanks!

Wouldn't worry about the gasket or the crack either. Gasket should be fine. It's just stained with some rust. The crack is likely from thermal shock of some sort but I don't think it should affect it's operation. But I'm not an expert on this so pay attention more to those here on this.

I would report the crack to the dealer asap. No crack is acceptable on a year old stove or insert.

Reactions: webby3650
I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure my warranty is well voided and I don't plan on contacting the dealer. Just wondering if this is anything to be alarmed about.

Why would the warranty be voided?

I've modified it to to keep it from over-firing and eliminated features that weren't well implemented. Plus the manual states:
Capture.PNG

And clearly you can see rust colored cast iron in my photos.

I don't see signs of overfiring. The slight tan-color is normal. What mods were done, doghouse block?

Last edited:
You could try to contact the deal about. If they say no, you’re in the same position you’re in now.

I reduced the internal size of the secondary tubes because out of the box even with the primary fully closed the stove ran so hot I could see the flue collar glowing. There's not reason to believe I have excessive draft.

I removed a feature called "Automatic-Setback" control which was intended to help with restarting a fire by opening an extra air port until it heated up enough then close automatically. It'd didn't really work and it's implementation made the primary air control handle seem sloppy so I deleted it.

I modified the primary air control lever further to make it feel less sloppy.

I'd have to buy a few parts probably but I could always make these things original again.

Ultimately, I don't intend on contacting the dealer or going through the hassle of warranty stuff. Just wondering if it is something that needs to be fixed. I could buy the part myself for a couple hundred bucks and replace it with far less headache than dealing with any warranty investigation.

Thanks!

It looks like the crack was visible back in Feb when the overfire was reported. It may be stable. You'll have to watch it. I think I'd replace the flue outlet gasket to avoid any possibility of air entering at that point.

Thank you. The way I see it, the location where that crack is is where the primary air comes in anyway and the shutters that open for the primary air are not completely sealed so there is always a little bit of air going to come in from that area.

There isn't a part number for that flue collar gasket that I can find. Do I just get some regular 3/8 gasket rope to put in there. All the manual says about that gasket/flue collar is this:
Capture3.PNG Capture1.PNG

Your call. If the gasket still has good loft and will make a nice seal then it may be ok. It's hard to tell its condition from a photo.

Your call. If the gasket still has good loft and will make a nice seal then it may be ok. It's hard to tell its condition from a photo.

It's as flat as a pancake. I want to replace it I just don't know with what. There is no part number for it and seems to have a pretty specific shape/fitment. Do I just get some regular 3/8 rope gasket and try to make that work?

fwiw i got my montpelier used and the gasket was worse than that. installed, then pulled (for other reasons) then reinstalled the insert and no problems with the gasket. just make sure it is well seated (easy to shift it when attaching the liner).

the crack is a bummer. guessing it was one of the overfires that caused it. i understand not wanting to fight for the warranty (which it seems many companies find a reason not to honor) but on the flipside the overfires werent your fault. i definitely know how these units burn super hot without mods (and im only on a 15 foot chimney!)

Couple quick questions for anyone who can help. Re-doing the piping for my stove and came across a few concerns..

Do I need to replace this gasket beneath the flue collar? Not sure if this is a one and done deal. Seems kinda flat and insignificant honestly. Stove is only a year old.
View attachment 246215

Also, found a teeny crack near the primary air inlet holes. Should I be concerned about this..
View attachment 246216 View attachment 246217 View attachment 246218

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190820_135938.jpg
    20190820_135938.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 20190820_132014.jpg
    20190820_132014.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 216
  • 20190820_131947.jpg
    20190820_131947.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 202
I opened mine up today so I could get a look and send you some pictures. I don't really see a whole lot difference and I have no mods done

I opened mine up today so I could get a look and send you some pictures. I don't really see a whole lot difference and I have no mods done

Thanks for the pictures. Comparing to your pictures my stove seems to have much more of that rust colored thing going on that I guess points to having overfired the stove. Yours looks great in my opinion. How long have you had it and how much use over that period of time.

Thanks for the pictures. Comparing to your pictures my stove seems to have much more of that rust colored thing going on that I guess points to having overfired the stove. Yours looks great in my opinion. How long have you had it and how much use over that period of time.
Installed over the new year
I started running it Jan 4 of this year,ran it almost everyday burned 4 facecord. 2 cords of that was poorly seasoned and covered in ice. Was expecting loads of creosote but it wasn't bad

I see absolutely nothing to indicate overfireing

Installed over the new year
I started running it Jan 4 of this year,ran it almost everyday burned 4 facecord. 2 cords of that was poorly seasoned and covered in ice. Was expecting loads of creosote but it wasn't bad
Your stove looks fine

Reactions: Dazza80