Small engine repair (4–stroke air cooled v-twin gasoline engine)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Some Kawasaki engines have an electrically-operated fuel shut-off valve mounted on the bowl of the carb.
Is that a fuel shut off to the bowl, or to the main jet? Many engines have them for the main jet...just helps stop the backfire when you shut them down, usually with no cool down period, and all too often while still at full throttle.

How goes it? Running?
I let it sit for a day and a half with no oil, with the fuel valve open, still suspicious of the carb. When I opened the oil drain, out came 5 or 6 ounces of gasoline.

I checked the serial number and determined the mower was built in 2007 which is older than I thought. I bought it used, but the previous owner did not work it hard. Given the age, and my dislike of working on carburetors, I’ll replace the whole carburetor. Waiting on that order now. (With the fuel valve closed.)

So, in retrospect, it looks like the root cause was the carburetor letting gas by, and the head gaskets were fine. At least I learned how to change head gaskets (assuming it all works once it’s finished!). Should be done next weekend. And still need to do one more mowing for the season.

Reactions: mcdougy
Your good to go......You rebuilt it.....well worth it and no need to worry about it. 👍 I agree that a manual fuel shut off is a good idea if its possible, it will run the carb dry everytime provided that you remember to utilize it and it will help eliminate a bunch of future issues.
Maybe consider the cost of a carb rebuild kit and give it a try on the original carburetor??

Finally got back to it today with all parts in hand and finished putting it back together.

Started right up on the first pull. Compression is within spec.

Had some struggle with the control plate / governor linkage / throttle linkage. Initially, idle was way off, but even after tuning high idle is still a bit low. (Very awkward to adjust with control cables in the way and a hot muffler right next to it. I could get it in position for the correct idle, but it would shift while tightening.) But was able to mow the back yard.

In the end, parts included two head gaskets (plus three sets of other gaskets to get to the head gaskets: valve cover, exhaust and fuel manifold gaskets), fuel pump, and carburetor (and its gaskets). Plus an oil change and filter.

With the mower all clean, I noticed signs of small hydraulic leak. Appears to be at a fitting with an o-ring. I'm past due for changing the hydraulic filter so that's the next project with this machine. Better not take as long as this one.

Reactions: semipro
Is that a fuel shut off to the bowl, or to the main jet? Many engines have them for the main jet...just helps stop the backfire when you shut them down, usually with no cool down period, and all too often while still at full throttle.
Actually, the main jet I believe. Good catch.