Small Farm Equipment Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We are in a very similar climate to yours and I have to say that if you plan to use a tractor here in the north in the winter, especially for snow removal (especially w/a blower), a heated cab is damn near a necessity. I cleared our mile of driveway on an open tractor through the seventies and early eighties and it was brutal. In '83 we bought a cab tractor and it has made a nearly impossible task merely a routine chore. Our's is an 80hp rig that is 10' to the top of the cab and requires a bit more branch pruning along the woods roads but that is not an issue for me when compared to sitting on an open tractor in lake effect snow at twenty below zero for hours at a time. For the most part, I try not to do my wood gathering in winter and mostly use one of our smaller, open platform tractors in the woods, but on occasion will use the big tractor to skid logs or haul the big dump wagon without issue.

You do make a solid point. We don't get quite as much snow, but the wind coming off the coast is pretty brutal. I will definitely consider the field cab.

SB-

Congrats on the land and kudos for wanting to get set up and do it right. In a sorta similar position... got a 10 acre hobby farm in michigan 2 years ago. Instead of advice, will give you our rundown:

Farm: 2 old barns: 2 horses, 1 mini horse, 6 goats, 2 emus, 60 chickens, 10 ducks. 25 quail.

Equipment:

Tractor: LS XR3135H (35 horse diesel hydrostatic). With FEL, back blade, and 72 inch bush hog: $22K new. For kubota and deere, same package would have cost me $26-28K. My dealer had kioti but for smaller HP tractors (like mine), a lot more premium features for same price point (split brakes, 2 additional hydraulic hookups on rear), extendable lower links, extra comfortable seat (Kioti's was a joke).

UTV: found a used JD gator 4x2 gas engine with cab and locking rear differential on craigslist for $4K. only 700 hours.

Snowblower (don't laugh here): Sold my 28" Craftsman 2 stage i had from previous property because I plow with tractor... picked up a little electric/battery snow joe for front walk and barn for $150.

2.5 acres of grass to deal with: Gravely XT52HD Zero turn

Saws: Stihl 260 Pro, 441C magnum, Echo 400

Not sure if you have an LS dealer close by but it's an awesome tractor. I only use about 150-200 hours/year but it's been nuke proof. Have added a nice grapple, box blade, and set of forks for the tractor. Also have a hydraulic dump cart that is epic.

JD gator is awesome... i wouldn't consider a standard ATV... need the side by side for cargo space and passenger I think you are looking at all the right options. My gator was a diamond in the rough for guy who refurbishes them... likely an old michigan corrections unit with super low hours picked up for a steal. 4x2 is easy as my land (and all of lower michigan) is super flat.

Hope that is helpful. Good luck.

SB-

Congrats on the land and kudos for wanting to get set up and do it right. In a sorta similar position... got a 10 acre hobby farm in michigan 2 years ago. Instead of advice, will give you our rundown:

Farm: 2 old barns: 2 horses, 1 mini horse, 6 goats, 2 emus, 60 chickens, 10 ducks. 25 quail.

Equipment:

Tractor: LS XR3135H (35 horse diesel hydrostatic). With FEL, back blade, and 72 inch bush hog: $22K new. For kubota and deere, same package would have cost me $26-28K. My dealer had kioti but for smaller HP tractors (like mine), a lot more premium features for same price point (split brakes, 2 additional hydraulic hookups on rear), extendable lower links, extra comfortable seat (Kioti's was a joke).

UTV: found a used JD gator 4x2 gas engine with cab and locking rear differential on craigslist for $4K. only 700 hours.

Snowblower (don't laugh here): Sold my 28" Craftsman 2 stage i had from previous property because I plow with tractor... picked up a little electric/battery snow joe for front walk and barn for $150.

2.5 acres of grass to deal with: Gravely XT52HD Zero turn

Saws: Stihl 260 Pro, 441C magnum, Echo 400

Not sure if you have an LS dealer close by but it's an awesome tractor. I only use about 150-200 hours/year but it's been nuke proof. Have added a nice grapple, box blade, and set of forks for the tractor. Also have a hydraulic dump cart that is epic.

JD gator is awesome... i wouldn't consider a standard ATV... need the side by side for cargo space and passenger I think you are looking at all the right options. My gator was a diamond in the rough for guy who refurbishes them... likely an old michigan corrections unit with super low hours picked up for a steal. 4x2 is easy as my land (and all of lower michigan) is super flat.

Hope that is helpful. Good luck.

I'm most looking at similar stuff, just different brands. As far as livestock goes I only plan to have three Alpaca and my dogs, but your advice is well received. Most of my property is wooded, so a lot of my work will be forestry and construction based.

I also just learned that the Kioti tractors use the same engine for 45-60 models and the only difference is the tuning. Some dealers will even change the ECM tuning for greater power. I looked into this because the post hole differ attachment that is capable of using a 30"x48" auger requires 35 pto HP minimum, the DK4710 I am looking at is rated at 33.4 pto HP, just shy. The DK6010 is rated at 57.7 and 44.9 engine/pto HP and the only difference between it and the 4710 is the tune. This means I can just buy a 6010 ECM or have the 4710 ECM rewritten and have almost 60 HP for a lot less than the DK6010SE costs.

I would just make sure you get in writing (from Kioti central command, not local dealer) that tuning the ECM doesn't mess with the warranty.

Seems a little too good to be true but intriguing....

Reactions: SpaceBus
I would just make sure you get in writing (from Kioti central command, not local dealer) that tuning the ECM doesn't mess with the warranty.

Seems a little too good to be true but intriguing....
Magnussen Moss warranty act states that it is the burden of the warranty issuer to prove anything the customer did led to the failure. The DK6010SE has a warranty and the same engine as the DK4710SE, the only difference being output tune. Anyone who has experience modifying turbocbarged vehicles/engines knows how easy it is to artificially limit power, which is what Kioti has done. They took a 60 HP engine and reduced output to 45 HP in the DK60/47 example. The DK60 costs thousands of dollars more. I don't need a 60 HP tractor, but I really want 35+ PTO HP.

I've been giving more thought to this tractor purchase and I think I'll be ordering a tractor. They really want me to buy the DK4710SE on the lot, but it only has 33.4 PTO HP and I really want at least 35 for the larger post hole digger and auger setup. The HST trans on the DK4710 incurs a 20% HP loss to the PTO. The DK4510 hydraulic shuttle has over 40 PTO HP, but I'd have to order it and it doesn't have the extra rear hydraulic lines standard that the SE versions get, so that will cost more. I just wish the DK10 SE series had the hydraulic shuttle as an option.

Was this a typo?
No. The post hole digger attachment I'm looking at can really run a 30" x 48" auger. It also requires 35 HP at the PTO, minimum, so I'm looking for 40-45 PTO HP.

No. The post hole digger attachment I'm looking at can really run a 30" x 48" auger. It also requires 35 HP at the PTO, minimum, so I'm looking for 40-45 PTO HP.
You'll be lucky to spin a 12, 18" at the absolute max.

In Maine with rocks, there's absolutely no way you can do that. There is no down pressure on a PTO auger, the only downward force is the auger "pulling" itself down.

Also 1-2 PTO HP is not going to make this magical difference in regards to wanting 35+ HP and only getting 33.4 HP. Don't get hung up on the "ideal conditions" numbers your reading about tractors.

EDIT: On a side note, the post hole digger you are looking at probably won't even fit the DK6010. The 3 point hitch is CAT 2. CAT 2 is a whole new level of implements geared for larger scale tractors.

Last edited:
You'll be lucky to spin a 12, 18" at the absolute max.

In Maine with rocks, there's absolutely no way you can do that. There is no down pressure on a PTO auger, the only downward force is the auger "pulling" itself down.

Also 1-2 PTO HP is not going to make this magical difference in regards to wanting 35+ HP and only getting 33.4 HP. Don't get hung up on the "ideal conditions" numbers your reading about tractors.

Well, that's why I was looking at the same tractor, but with a hydraulic shuttle shift transmission with less drivetrain loss for about 40 PTO HP. I would just rather not be at the bottom end of what the implement requires. This is a big purchase and I don't want to get something underpowered for what I want to do. I'm planning on building some pole structures, so I want to make sure the tractor will facilitate that for me. I would hate to need a bigger tractor later.

Maybe I'm I'm just making excuses because I really want a gear transmission. I'm fine with 45 engine HP, but I just don't like automatic transmissions normally. If my health weren't crap, I would go manual all the way. The hydro shuttle sounds like a good compromise.

As far as the auger goes, yeah, Maine soil is crap. I was hoping to get away with at least the 24" auger for a 14' pole barn. I'm going to be using the tractor to grind a lot of stumps and grade a lot of dirt, so a bit more power to the wheels won't hurt here either.

Do any of you readers have a hydro shuttle and would like to share your experience? The Kioti tractors have a twin pedal HST, so it's not as bad as some of the other tractors out there. They also have the option to link the pedals to the accelerator so it drives more like a car. Of course the dealer having no manuals, and maybe one hydro shuttle, would say that the HST is the best trans for the snow. If the HST really is that much better in day to day use of the tractor, then I will concede. Even in sports/enthusiast cars the automatic can be the more rewarding transmission. I'm not so much of a purist that I can't see when something really is better.

Nice! Thanks for your service!

I have 10 acres; 2 tillable, 1 home site, 7 woods. I have a diesel JD4300 hydrostat with 420 loader. Man it is nice having a tractor with a loader. I had a '53 Ford Jubilee before that and it was fun, but couldn't get a lot of work done. Also have about 30 aces of woods that I help manage and take care of with a buddy. I have 10" auger, box blade, blade, bush hog, carry all, and looking to add a tiller soon. I tell you, you find work to do with the tractor!

I researched, looked and watched prices of tractors for 3 years before I got the JD, it is used, but if maintained correctly, it will outlast my needs! I highly recommend staying with Kubota or JD. Or even looking for an older Allis or Massey. Good luck.

What would you ever need a 30'' diameter hole for?

Reactions: jaoneill
I asked the dealer and they said the 45 HP HST tractor they have will run the HD Digger as long as I'm not trying to dig to max depth with the 30" auger, which isn't possible here anyway, so it doesn't matter. Kioti discontinued the hydraulic shuttle for the DK series tractors, so I'm doing hydrostatic or I have to spend a lot of money to get the next size up which has a power shift. I think the hydrostatic will be awesome, despite my inherent lack of trust in automatic transmissions. The tractor on the lot has a lot of incentives as well, so I think this is what I'm going with. I'll probably bring it home in a few weeks, just waiting on funds to move between financial institutions.

Magnussen Moss warranty act states that it is the burden of the warranty issuer to prove anything the customer did led to the failure. The DK6010SE has a warranty and the same engine as the DK4710SE, the only difference being output tune. Anyone who has experience modifying turbocbarged vehicles/engines knows how easy it is to artificially limit power, which is what Kioti has done. They took a 60 HP engine and reduced output to 45 HP in the DK60/47 example. The DK60 costs thousands of dollars more. I don't need a 60 HP tractor, but I really want 35+ PTO HP.[/QUOTE

You don’t understand Magnussen Moss.

The manufacturer designed and qualified the tractor as an engineered package, including the emission calibration, cooling system and powertrain. If you increase the power of the as produced package, Kioti is under no obligation to cover any component of that package, including the pto, transmission, axles, cooling system, after treatment, or internal engine parts, despite the fact that the base engine is offered at higher power levels in other tractor models.

The transaction price of the tractor includes the additional warranty exposure the company has with a higher state of tune tractor.

Are all of the emission control components exactly the same part numbers across the model range, cooling system, etc?

All Magnussen really says is that the manufacturer can’t void the warranty on, say the radio, if you tamper with the calibration of the engine, and that the warranty isn’t affected by non factory authorized parts, as long as they meet factory specifications. Think lubes and filters, for example.

There’s a lot of misinformation on the legalities, all pushed by the aftermarket, as part of their self promotion effort.

Also, if the dealer is caught upgrading power via an unauthorized ecm substitution, he is likely in violation of his franchise agreement, and could lose the franchise because of warranty fraud.

Reactions: jaoneill