Small fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejbailey

Feb 19, 2022
Monroe, CT
I just got a wood stove insert put in and I’ve done two small break in fires (truly just 3 or 4 logs). During the last one I saw a good amount of smoke coming out of the chimney. Now I get when I’m really going it won’t be an issue but is there any way to have a small fire without a lot of smoke?

What is the insert make and model? If it is a secondary burn stove then it will need to get hot enough in the firebox to start secondary burning. A small kindling fire is not capable of that.

Reactions: jalmondale
Maybe your wood has more moisture in it because when I had small fires with 10%-12% kiln dried oak it was wonderful--hardly any smoke at all...But when I had 17% moisture level with mixed wood had a lot of smoke coming out of the box and stove stack. New at this and only used my wood stove about nine times--just thinking here no expert...old clancey

Top down fire, lots of kindling adding a layer of brick to the bottom was suggested as it gets flames closer to baffle. Crisscross stacking so there is really good air flow. Don’t use full splits. Limbs are good.

All that said there is a minimum burn rate to get a clean burn.

Reactions: bigealta
It’s a quad fire expedition 2. The moisture was around 10%. I did think that not getting it hot first was the issue.
Yes, that is a modern stove. With a moderate load of wood it should have good secondary burn. Try 4-5, four-inch thick splits.

10 pct is awfully hard to get around here. Did you measure that on a freshly split surface?

I'm asking because wood that's too wet often contributes to smoke issues.

That's exactly what happened to me and I could not get it hot and had such a hard time getting it to burn and it made lots of smoke and the only difference was a switch from kiln dried 12% and I took of picture of this reading after I split the wood to a mixed wood variety that registered 17-18% on moisture and it rained the night before so I thought maybe the roof stack got water in it or something for it was so very very different burning vrs the day before..Also the wood that I put in it was thicker in size and had some bark on top as well..Hope you sort your problem out..clancey

The moisture reading was not on a fresh split but I’ve had the wood drying for a few years at this point.

Last night I finally loaded it up and everything went well, so I guess I just need something bigger.

Reactions: begreen
Try opening a window or door nearby for a few minutes with the door cracked open. My new EPA stove enjoys a nice cold draft, seems to work every time

The moisture reading was not on a fresh split but I’ve had the wood drying for a few years at this point.

Last night I finally loaded it up and everything went well, so I guess I just need something bigger.
Yes, it takes enough fuel to warm up the firebox and mass of the stove. I'm glad you had success.