Small gap between stove and pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shredit

Nov 10, 2017
Bonner , Idaho
Just installed this stove and pipe. When looking down there is a smalll gap that you can see into the firebox. The pipe is seated all the way down, the gap is in a spot where there wasn't a screw hole so it didn't get sucked in tight by a screw. The stove has about 24 hours of burn time so far and haven't noticed any smoke coming from the gap at any point in time. Is this a problem or normal
? IMG_3164.JPGIMG_3174.PNG

These things happen. I had it on mine and filled the hole with cement. It didn't make it airtight PAST the first expansion cycle, but made me feel better. Many do nothing at all.

You could use stove cement as EatenBy... said. My stove is designed with a stovepipe adapter that must be packed with rope gasket to seal it up.

I would recommend that if you’re going to seal it with cement, then don’t think about it, just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or use double wall pipe like BK recommends. At least quality pipe, snap-lock pipe isn’t round and leaves voids in the flue collar like you have.

When i put new pipe on my last stove, there was a gap.
I talked to dealer and he said don’t worry about it.

I didn’t, and I had no smoke escaping from that small gap.

Do you have the crimped end of the pipe there?
Is that the proper way to install it?

Wonder how many would see the same issue if they turned out the lights at night and actually had a close look . Wrapped a window gasket with clamp around mine just for the heck of it after seeing this last season.