Small N-S Loading stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bert670

Mar 19, 2021
Hudson Valley, NY
I’ve been shopping around for a stove for our new addition for a while now, still waiting on the final drawings and permits to come through. I was originally planning on going big, but then after some input from the forum and some research, it looks like a small wood stove is the best buy. The room will be 350 sq ft, spray foam insulated with a large sliding door and 4 large windows(room is currently a 2 car garage offset from the main house). The only heat in the room will be a split unit, so was looking to supplement with the main heat source coming from the wood stove during the coldest weeks. We are looking to caddy corner the stove, so looking for ideas for a good north to south loader, as that may look best in the room. I only know if the Jotul and VC Aspen. Any other suggestions that I can research is appreciated.

Not many choices for a room that small.
Looks like a Morso squirrel or tiny wood stove. YouTube tiny wood stove and you will find a stove similar to the squirrel. That’s all you will need for a small room that well insulated. I assume going to that much trouble to spray foam that even the large windows will be double or triple pane as well?

Can you put it in the main house? How many total sqft for the house? I have a pretty small stove, but I think you will be looking into something even smaller than the Jotul 602, VC Aspen, or Morso Squirrel stoves.

Reactions: Hoytman
Agreed. That’s why Inmentioned the tiny wood stoves. I think...I think they offer a squirrel sized stove as well as some smaller ones, but don’t hold me to it.

Does the room open into the rest of the house at all? A woodstove in there will probably overheat that room if it's isolated, but if you can circulate the heat to other parts of the house then it could be really nice.

I have a VC Intrepid in a 200 sqft room at the end of my house. It does make that room pretty toasty but if I leave the doors open and put a fan in one doorway it heats the downstairs pretty well and the stove room stays comfortable.

As discussed in this thread, a wood stove in a small, super-insulated space will be overwhelming.