small offset, back to back 45s?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
So if a guy were to want a different stove and the new stove required a small, say 3" move to the current vertical flue I would assume it is a simple matter of installing a pair of 45 degree bends. The current flue is double wall simpson connector pipe. So the question:

What is the smallest horizontal offset possible from a pair of 45s on a double wall connector pipe?

Yes, I am checking feasability on a couple of select cat stoves. Man are they complicated! Obama might not give me this opportunity again.

Highbeam said:
Yes, I am checking feasability on a couple of select cat stoves. Man are they complicated! Obama might not give me this opportunity again.

I have the highest confidence in your ability to figure out a cat stove, but Dennis might not. ;-)

Highbeam said:
So if a guy were to want a different stove and the new stove required a small, say 3" move to the current vertical flue I would assume it is a simple matter of installing a pair of 45 degree bends. The current flue is double wall simpson connector pipe. So the question:

What is the smallest horizontal offset possible from a pair of 45s on a double wall connector pipe?

Do it. Obama's just giving you back a small portion of your own money anyways :p

I've been tire kicking a little myself. But my T6 is less than 2 years old, and I'm quite pleased with it. Soap stone on the hearth sure would be purdy though.

WES999 said:
If you go to the Simson website:
http://www.duravent.com/pdf/catalogs/dvl_durablack09.pdf
They have a chart with all of the combination's of offsets.
It should answer your question.
Looks like the smallest is 4 1/2" for DVL.

Other than actual experience, this is the best info out there. The 4.5" dimension is measured along the long side of 45 degree angle part of the elbow which would give a 2.25" offset for the bottom one but the second 45 would have a less than 4.5" dimension since it is on the inside of the elbow. Maybe only an additional 1.125" of horiaontal offset. Oddly, I only need 3".

So has anybody bolted two 45 degree fittings directly together? Do the twist lok slots allow this?

I need 13" from the pipe to the wall and I only have 10" currently. Hearth is too small too. Ug.

Given what you could get for your old stove, plus add in the tax credit, it's almost foolish to not jump on that new cat stove.

BTW, your hearth isn't too small, your current stove is. ;)

Well, my current hearth is less than 48" deep, the BK princess is 29" deep plus 6" rear clearance plus 16" front clearance so I come up with a need for a 51" deep hearth. Three freaking inches. The woodstock fits like a glove, vertical flue and no hearth mods but no stat.

Highbeam said:
The woodstock fits like a glove, vertical flue and no hearth mods but no stat.
Well, it's too small as well! :coolsmile:

I'm J/K, I don't want to upset Dennis and get the less wood, less complicated, soft heat, warmer house lecture... :cheese:

FWIW, I'm in the process of ripping apart my heart as well so it will fit the BKK properly. I'm going with 60"x80" (4" OAK embedded inside) with an attached 90"x 28" runner for indoor wood storage. It's a PITA, but I don't want to have any future hearth constraint issues.

highbeam, can you come up with a creative way to add 3" - 4" to the existing hearth and still meet the necessary clearances and "R" values for the new stove? Contrasting colors, tile, etc. might make it look like the extension is a part of the original hearth install with a little creative coloring to highlight the front of the hearth.

Thanks for the help folks. I got a pretty major "gross, no way" type of reaction when the wife saw the blaze king stove line. She did tell me to buy the fireview today if I wanted a switch.

I asked Simpson the min offset for DVL in 8" as I am in that situation installing the BK. This was their response:

the offset chart in the dvl catalog shows all of the dims for offseting the product. back to back 45's give you a 4-1/2" offset which requires 12-1/16 inches of rise.

see our complete catalog @ http://www.duravent.com/pdf/catalogs/dvl_durablack09.pdf

Highbeam said:
Thanks for the help folks. I got a pretty major "gross, no way" type of reaction when the wife saw the blaze king stove line. She did tell me to buy the fireview today if I wanted a switch.

LOL. Your wife and mine.
Here's a chart from Simpson. I'm reading a 5.75" offset with DVL. If you can, put a short riser on the pipe before the double 45s.

Attachments

• small offset, back to back 45s?
    dvl_offset.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,098
That's a perfect chart and exactly the answer I needed. Thanks.

Even the woodstock may require some offset since you need to add an adapter to the flue before shoving on the tee.

BeGreen said:
Highbeam said:

LOL. Your wife and mine.

Mine must be the exception. When she came home and found the King sitting where the VC used to sit, she nodded in approval and said steel is real.

You actually expect us to believe that the words, "Steel is Real" came out of your wife's mouth?

Please! :roll:

wendell said:
You actually expect us to believe that the words, "Steel is Real" came out of your wife's mouth?

Its a cycling frame reference nicely adapted to wood stoves.

SolarAndWood said:
wendell said:

Its a cycling frame reference nicely adapted to wood stoves.

I prefer "Friends don't let friends ride aluminum".

And I still don't believe your wife said it. ;-)

Highbeam said:
Well, my current hearth is less than 48" deep, the BK princess is 29" deep plus 6" rear clearance plus 16" front clearance so I come up with a need for a 51" deep hearth. Three freaking inches. The woodstock fits like a glove, vertical flue and no hearth mods but no stat.

I too am trying to figure out the flue pipe for a potential BK Princess install.
I don 't have clearance issues (floor, and wall behind stove, are all masonry)
but I am trying to get the flue lined up. This isn't shown in any of the docs
I've seen, but a phone call has revealed that the center-line of the flue
opening is 11" from the back of the stove; for a unit without fans, the stove
is only 28" deep, so this dimension becomes 10" (omitting the fans shaves
1" off the back of the stove). I would APPRECIATE it if any Princess owners
would verify this measurement !

Meanwhile, my existing chimney is only 6" from masonry wall (the center of
the opening, that is). So this 4.5" offset for the Simpson DVL should be
perfect for me. Is there an issue using the Simpson DVL pipe with my
existing Selkirk Metalbestos chimney ?

wendell said:
I prefer "Friends don't let friends ride aluminum".

Agreed, my mountain frame is carbon and I've only broken one of them while 3 aluminum frames have failed. Back to the original tangent which was the appearance of the BK...if you don't mind the simple utilitarian look, they are not a bad looking stove and appear to be built to get the job done. However, when you line up a row of glossy brochures on the dining room table or look at them side by side in the showroom, you likely won't pick it out of the crowd.

RustyShackleford said:
Is there an issue using the Simpson DVL pipe with my
existing Selkirk Metalbestos chimney ?

I have Metalbestos as well. Isn't a chimney connector a chimney connector? should be a direct replacement for stove pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.