Small Stove, But 18" Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kwehme09

Sep 7, 2011
Northern N.H.
I am looking for a small wood stove for a 600 sf space, but don't mind oversizing a bit. However, I'd like to be able to fit 18" log since a wood boiler and another stove on the property use 18" wood. I am a loyal Blaze King guy, but don't think its the right application here as this will be a secondary heat source (to the wood boiler) and somewhat for ambience. Jotul F602 V2 should be my first choice if it took 18" wood.

Any thoughts?

The Morso 2B manual says it will take up to 18" splits.

Reactions: Kwehme09
My Dec2013 production BK Ashford 30.0 will take 18.00 inch splits down in the between the bricks in the belly, and 18.5 up in the main body (loading NS), but 18.75 is right out.

The VC Aspen C3 lists 18" as the maximum log length as well. The firebox is 4 firebricks deep which verifies the spec.

The VC Aspen C3 lists 18" as the maximum log length as well. The firebox is 4 firebricks deep which verifies the spec.
Interesting. Quick Google search showed 16"

Another option is just cutting some of your 18's in half, when you want an ambience fire in a small stove.

If you look back in this forum, I spent 2015 - 2018 cutting something close to 30 cords down from 20" length to 18" length, when I transitioned from Jotul to BK. I built a quick knock-together rig that I could load with wood, and run a 28" saw down the face of it to knock 2" off every split. It made a wheelbarrow full of wood in less than 5 minutes, all moving and re-stacking considered. Something similar to this could be made to make two 9's from each 18, until you build up a separate supply for the smaller stove.

Interesting. Quick Google search showed 16"
Yes, 16" is the "recommended" log length, The manual lists:

Max. Wood Length: 18"
Ideal Wood Length: 16"

If you cut your own wood, then there will be some short cuts in the stack. Pull those out for the smaller room stove. Or, like Ashful suggested, create a cradle or rig for cutting a batch of 18" splits into two 9" and get a small Morso like the 1410 or 1440.

Last edited:
Osburn 950 will fit 18" wood. 16" is recommended, but it is 19-1/8" from firebrick to glass.

I'm sure drolet has a more cost effective version of the same stove.

Here's a pic inside my Aspen C3. You have 18.5" between the riser/primary air intake box up front and the rear of the firebox. However if you load above that you have more like 20" depending on how close you want to get to the door glass. And of course if you're loading and get any existing wood or coals shoved between the back of the split and the rear of the firebox as you push it to the back, you lose some of that length. I had a sort of squared off 20" piece that I barely got in due to this. It pretty well took up the whole firebox... These stoves aren't huge. That piece burned for a good 10-11 hours.

You do lose some length at the top of the firebox due to the secondary air intake box cutting in (second pic - measuring tape just being used as a pointer). For the most part I cut 16" minimum length which is easy to gauge with my 16" bar. If it's an inch or two longer, great. Shorter pieces get loaded on top where the secondary air intake box starts eating into the length.

20220715_213659.jpeg 20220715_213753.jpeg

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P