Small Studio Cat Stove Advice/Discussion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sounds like things are coming along nicely. Are you insulating under the concrete floor?

Will you be burning primarily softwoods by chance? I am very impressed with my stoves capability to utilize softwood efficiently (Pine).

Good luck on your project no matter what make/model stove you purchase. Keep up with updates here.

I am overlaying a vapor barrier and 2-3" of pigmented concrete over an existing slab that has had major problems with wicking water vapor into the metal stud framed room. The walls and insulation were wet... fixing problems while remodeling an old small winery building into a studio. No insulation in the slab. Plenty of insulation in the walls and ceiling.

Primarily oak and douglas fir with the occasional pine, madrone, alder, other...

Thanks, pump truck just showed up. Will send pics at some point.

When choosing the location for the hole be careful to leave a few extra inches away from the wall for the sake of flexibility for future stoves, easy cleaning, and a little extra safety. It is not easy to go back and get another 2” when you want a different stove. Many (most?) of us here have had multiple stove upgrades over the years.

Solid and appropriate advice. I'm afflicted with The Tight Tolerance Disease and it often gets me into trouble. ...

Early reports for the new Kuma Tamarak/Aspen LE stoves sound good. They're worth looking at. Family run business that makes a quality product.

Hello all, First time posting here. During my hours of reading and local stove shop visits I have been narrowing down my choices for a new stove. I am building a 440 sq ft studio/man cave/workshop/guest room onto my 640 sq ft shop space. The shop has never had heating of any kind and will be a welcome addition in winter months. Both spaces are insulated with 8' flat ceilings. Concrete floors. Northern California coast (think Oregon coast). I have attached the floor plan of the studio and photo of stove placement.

The studio and the shop can be closed off to each other. When the shop is not being used, there is only a 440sqft heating requirement. The long and slow numbers on the modern cat stoves is impressive. The stove will be in the studio on the opposite wall from the shop. The studio has a 600cfm range hood and a wall vent with fan to the shop. (see plans)

Use: The studio and shop will be used full time as live in and part time workshop. Shop has small non partitioned office and 1/2 bath+laundry. Outdoor Shower.

The contactors are cutting the roof next week and I'm coming down to decision making time.

Stoves on my short list:

Hearthstone:
Green mountain 40
Green Mountain 60

Blazeking:
Boxer BX24
Chinook 30.2

Woodstock:
Keystone

Prefered local shops have Blazekings and other decent local shop has Hearthstone.

A close friend with a Woodstock Fireview loves his and highly recommends. Pros: proven design, soapstone. Cons: costs more, higher clearances to combustibles.

I love the under stove wood storage, raised box, big window and super low corner installation clearance of the Boxer. Pro: Costs less, fits very nicely in hearth area Cons: Newer stove.

Saw the Green Mountain line in the shop and like the numbers. Nigel459 on here has spoken very highly of it. Pros: cost within budget, close clearances, smaller stove, Cons: newer stove, two cats, smallest firebox on GM40 for tight e/w loading.

I have burn wood as a main heating source my entire life. I've only used 1980's metal stoves in a bigger house with high ceilings. Sweet Home and double door Lopi. Took an old Sweet Home and made a sauna around it. I like splitting and burning wood and am intrigued by the long burn times and close to the wall efficiencies of these modern catalytic stoves. Been nerding out on the deeper knowledge on this Forum and thought you guys might like in on this project. Constructive advice and discussion is much appreciated as I'm pulling the trigger on the center piece of this build in the next few days.

Hopefully all the images came through correctly. Been reading this Forum a bunch lately and have been enjoying all the knowledge and discussions here. Thanks.

Cheers

View attachment 258029View attachment 258030View attachment 258032View attachment 258033View attachment 258034View attachment 258035View attachment 258036
I have read and talked with dealer about the green mountain. They sound nice. I have heard the 60 doesn’t seem to get a draft going to well. They really talked up the 40 and 80.