Smaller Freestanding Stove or Larger Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MinM

Mar 6, 2018
Central MA
My living room has fireplace- 26" height opening with a 16" brick hearth. I've read that most people think a freestanding stove heats better than an insert, but what if the comparison is between a relatively large insert (Lopi Large Flush Hybrid- 3.0 cf box, 83k BTU) vs a smaller freestanding stove (VC Encore Flexburn- 2.3 box, 47k... or Regency Hampton H300- 1.7 box, 45k)? I'm not limited to those models, but my wife loves the look of those three (flush insert, cast iron stoves) and they should fit into the space we have. Wondering what's better- a large flush insert that requires a fan to pump out the majority of the heat, or a smaller freestanding stove in the same space. Thanks to all who contribute to this site, and Happy Thanksgiving.

I like to go with the adage "Bigger is Better" with a wood heater. You can always make
a smaller fire in a big unit, but tryin to get more heat than a stove can give you ain't gonna happen.
I burned a Regency 3100L in a small leaky, underinsulated home for a number of years & when I
needed it in the heart of New York winters, it cranked. I could just touch it off in Oct to get rid of a chill...
Take a pic of your stonework & cut & paste every unit you like onto that image...
You'll find the right one, on looks AND specs.

My living room has fireplace- 26" height opening with a 16" brick hearth. I've read that most people think a freestanding stove heats better than an insert, but what if the comparison is between a relatively large insert (Lopi Large Flush Hybrid- 3.0 cf box, 83k BTU) vs a smaller freestanding stove (VC Encore Flexburn- 2.3 box, 47k... or Regency Hampton H300- 1.7 box, 45k)? I'm not limited to those models, but my wife loves the look of those three (flush insert, cast iron stoves) and they should fit into the space we have. Wondering what's better- a large flush insert that requires a fan to pump out the majority of the heat, or a smaller freestanding stove in the same space. Thanks to all who contribute to this site, and Happy Thanksgiving.
Tell us more about the space that's being heated. Is this an open floor plan or is the living room somewhat closed off by doorways or openings? How large an area do you want to heat with the stove/insert? How will it be run 24/7 for primary heating or mostly nights and weekends?

Visually the Lopi is quite different looking from the more classically styled Hampton and Encore. Have both of you looked at some classic styled inserts for comparison like the Enviro Boston 1700, Quadrafire Voyageur Grand or Hearthstone Clydesdale?

A note on the Lopi large flush hybrid, it requires an 18” hearth in front unless your hearth raises at least 2” above the floor.

I like to go with the adage "Bigger is Better" with a wood heater. You can always make
a smaller fire in a big unit, but tryin to get more heat than a stove can give you ain't gonna happen.
I burned a Regency 3100L in a small leaky, underinsulated home for a number of years & when I
needed it in the heart of New York winters, it cranked. I could just touch it off in Oct to get rid of a chill...
Take a pic of your stonework & cut & paste every unit you like onto that image...
You'll find the right one, on looks AND specs.

Thanks Daksy. I would agree when comparing amongst free standers or amongst inserts. In this case, I'm wondering if a smaller freestanding stove that has plenty of surface area for radiant heat (and fan) can compete with a larger insert with little radiant heat (the Lopi is pretty flush) and requires blowers to push the heat out. If the stoves and the insert had the same size firebox the stoves would likely win. In this case, the stoves are quite a bit smaller than the insert, but the insert doesn't have the advantage of a lot of exposed surface area for radiant heat.

Tell us more about the space that's being heated. Is this an open floor plan or is the living room somewhat closed off by doorways or openings? How large an area do you want to heat with the stove/insert? How will it be run 24/7 for primary heating or mostly nights and weekends?

Visually the Lopi is quite different looking from the more classically styled Hampton and Encore. Have both of you looked at some classic styled inserts for comparison like the Enviro Boston 1700, Quadrafire Voyageur Grand or Hearthstone Clydesdale?

Thanks Begreen, the house is a 2200 sq ft two story colonial. The fp is on the south wall of a 12' x 25' living room (south wall is 25', essentially the width of the house). There are two openings to the living room, both about 4' wide, on the opposite 25' wall. One leads to a hallway that leads to the kitchen, the other to the dining room. We have a gas fireplace at the opposite end of the house in a similarly sized room with only one opening (standard doorway width). I'd love for it to be for primary heat 24/7, but realistically I think nights and weekends. I'd love for it to heat the entire house, but our floor plan isn't an open one. I'd be happy if I could heat that half of the house, including the bedrooms directly above the living room.

Yes, they are very different looking. The stoves are ornate cast iron compared to the flush steel and more plain-looking (not meant to be an insult) Lopi. If it's an insert, my wife would like for it to be flush. If it's a stove, she wants it pretty. We were pretty hung-ho on the Lopi (flush, large firebox, huge window, low emissions) until she saw how pretty the VCs were. The QF is smaller than the Lopi, and the Enviro and Hearthstone aren't flush. I'm looking to put in the largest wood burning appliance in that space that fits my wife's aesthetic criteria. Appreciate the suggestions though.

A note on the Lopi large flush hybrid, it requires an 18” hearth in front unless your hearth raises at least 2” above the floor.

Thanks Hot Stuff- made me measure- the hearth is 4.5" high.

Thanks Begreen, the house is a 2200 sq ft two story colonial. The fp is on the south wall of a 12' x 25' living room (south wall is 25', essentially the width of the house). There are two openings to the living room, both about 4' wide, on the opposite 25' wall. One leads to a hallway that leads to the kitchen, the other to the dining room. We have a gas fireplace at the opposite end of the house in a similarly sized room with only one opening (standard doorway width). I'd love for it to be for primary heat 24/7, but realistically I think nights and weekends. I'd love for it to heat the entire house, but our floor plan isn't an open one. I'd be happy if I could heat that half of the house, including the bedrooms directly above the living room.

Yes, they are very different looking. The stoves are ornate cast iron compared to the flush steel and more plain-looking (not meant to be an insult) Lopi. If it's an insert, my wife would like for it to be flush. If it's a stove, she wants it pretty. We were pretty hung-ho on the Lopi (flush, large firebox, huge window, low emissions) until she saw how pretty the VCs were. The QF is smaller than the Lopi, and the Enviro and Hearthstone aren't flush. I'm looking to put in the largest wood burning appliance in that space that fits my wife's aesthetic criteria. Appreciate the suggestions though.
Read up on vermont castings stoves before going forward with one. Yes they are pretty but.

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of Radiant Heat you'll get from an insert.
The heat from burning wood has to come out of the firebox, even WITHOUT a blower.
As an added plus, I would think an insert would heat the fireplace construction better,
& that thermal mass will also radiate heat.
Don't get me wrong, seeing a nice cast iron stove sitting in a fireplace is very appealing,
but an insert may look that much better by concealing the firebox.
I guess it's whatever trips your trigger...

I think whatever you get should load a 16" split from front to back, ie, N/S, like mine, lol.
Once you load that way, you'll never go back.
Some of the inserts I looked at, ie Clydesdale, looked big...but only left to right...they were relatively shallow.
Also, don't go totally flush, again for the N/S loading. Mine only sticks out a few inches, but all the cast iron trim makes it still look good.