Smart thermostat with freestanding gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi Folks,

Bridgerman here. I invented the ThermGuard product and I now have another product that may be of interest to this group.

I purchased a vacation cabin that has a freestanding gas stove. It is a standing pilot unit that simply has an ON/OFF switch. I wanted to monitor the temperature inside and be able to heat with gas since the main heat is electric baseboard. I invented a small device that will connect to the millivolt gas valve and allow me to operate the stove remotely (1.5 hours away) and monitor the internal temperature using a Nest thermostat. I just received a patent on the product. It is called +wire.

I plug in a 24VAC wall transformer at the stove and using only two wires in the thermostat wiring, I can provide a 24VAC signal, a common signal, to the thermostat (to operate and send/receive wifi signals) and the stove gets a 24VAC heat signal from the thermostat. I convert the 24VAC heat signal into a dry relay closure for the millivolt signal from the thermopile that powers the gas valve.

There are other products on the market that will let you add a common wire for a smart thermostat but they don't work with a millivolt gas valve. These products also require at least 3 wires in the thermostat wire bundle and most homes, if they have thermostats on a millivolt system only have two wires. The millivolt stoves also do not produce the 24VAC that the smart thermostats require.

Bottom line: If you want to add a smart thermostat to a 2-wire appliance such as a freestanding stove, or even a boiler, there is now a product on the market that will work for you. I also use the product to pre-heat the cabin when I am on my way up. I keep the temperature low while I am away, and make the cabin toasty before I arrive.

I'm thinking $50 for the product with maybe an extra $20 if you need the transformer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bridgerman

I'd be interested! We have a stove like that in our guest house, ~500 feet away from our main house. I'm actually trouble shooting it now (just posted a thread about it) but once I have those issues solved something like this would be really nice to have.