Smartphone App, Smart Speaker Stove Control... Kinda proud of myself

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThawMyTongue

Mar 18, 2018
Delaware, OH
So I have had the 55-TRP for over a month and I love this thing! We have propane heat primarily and installed the pellet stove for supplemental heat. I have the propane heat set at 60 all the time and we have the pellet stove running whenever we are at home keeping the house around 70-72. We shut it off when we go to bed and I get up and turn it on in the morning. I installed wiring for a thermostat, but haven't installed one yet as I have not had time or have found the one I want to use. I did install a timed relay on the thermostat wiring to play around with having it kick on every few hours for a time or so with mixed results.

Anyway, I was browsing around and last week I bought a wifi enabled relay from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JK1B5G/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I got it mounted in a small enclosure with a 12VDC power supply. There's a free app for control which allows direct control and also scheduling events for on and off. Also, my Amazon Echo has a downloadable skill for it, which was quick and easy to set up. I can now control the stove with voice commands while I am at home and can control it remotely from the app and have scheduled run times. Last night I had it shut down at 11pm and kick back on at 5:30am and I woke up to a warm house.

I know a smart thermostat can do all this and more, but this was a fraction of the cost and easy to install. The relay I bought was the latching version and I might buy of the momentary versions and solder it to the on button contacts on the stove so I can power the stove back up in the event of a extended power outage. My wife says I tinker too much... I take it as a compliment. :)

Reactions: Washed-Up
Thats what iv been thinking of doing so i can start the stove while im in bed..

LOl. well mine is up at 5:00 anyway for some reason and is always cuddled up in a blanket even in the middle of supper..

Do you have a photo of the setup?

I found I can't get the igniter to reliably work. I have adjusted it in every direction.

Something like that would be nice to turn the stove on and off when away from home. Less invasive method by just tapping into the remote. Combine it with a wifi camera and wall thermostat to monitor the stove and the house temp, check it every now and then and decide if you want to turn the stove on or off, make sure it hasn't gone out, etc. A guy at work has a wifi camera to monitor his house.

If I only had wifi. By this time next year they say fiber optic internet is coming to my area.

Something like that would be nice to turn the stove on and off when away from home. Less invasive method by just tapping into the remote. Combine it with a wifi camera and wall thermostat to monitor the stove and the house temp, check it every now and then and decide if you want to turn the stove on or off, make sure it hasn't gone out, etc. A guy at work has a wifi camera to monitor his house.

If I only had wifi. By this time next year they say fiber optic internet is coming to my area.
[/QUOTE

That is what I am trying to accomplish; start and stop my stove with my phone from work. I already have the wifi camera setup but I can't figure out how to trigger the stove on/off.
Looking into using an inching relay that is attached to a WiFi switch, only hangup I am having is connecting it to the control board.

Quote doesn't seem to want to work. But what I did in the past with a different stove is made a circuit (you can buy them now for peanuts) with a couple of single shot 1 second 555 timers that control a relay. I connected each side of the on and off buttons to the relay contacts. So voltage sent to the circuit would close the relay contacts for one second and accomplish the same thing as pushing the button on the stove. If your stove has a remote you could hack the remote and not risk messing up the board. If you have a momentary relay you could just go direct to the button contacts and not worry about the 555 circuit.

If you have separate on/off buttons it is easy and I tied it to a thermostat on the wall to turn it on and off during shoulder season. If you have a single on/off button like I do, it's not as easy for unattended operation. Unless tapping a source to ID whether the stove is on or off, easiest thing would be use the camera to ID the state of the stove and manually "hit" the power button as needed. The manual operation with camera would be handy anyway, say if the stove goes out and needs to have the power cycled and restarted for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Quote doesn't seem to want to work. But what I did in the past with a different stove is made a circuit (you can buy them now for peanuts) with a couple of single shot 1 second 555 timers that control a relay. I connected each side of the on and off buttons to the relay contacts. So voltage sent to the circuit would close the relay contacts for one second and accomplish the same thing as pushing the button on the stove. If your stove has a remote you could hack the remote and not risk messing up the board. If you have a momentary relay you could just go direct to the button contacts and not worry about the 555 circuit.

If you have separate on/off buttons it is easy and I tied it to a thermostat on the wall to turn it on and off during shoulder season. If you have a single on/off button like I do, it's not as easy for unattended operation. Unless tapping a source to ID whether the stove is on or off, easiest thing would be use the camera to ID the state of the stove and manually "hit" the power button as needed. The manual operation with camera would be handy anyway, say if the stove goes out and needs to have the power cycled and restarted for whatever reason.

That is kind of the direction I was thinking of going(Using a Relay). I am going to have to play around with my control board and see how my on and off buttons are configured. Thanks for the response.