Smelling Smoke in House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dbarcon

Feb 5, 2015
Arizona
Hi,
We have a Quadra Fire Classic Bay for about 8 years. Recently we started smelling smoke in the house and it is not burning the same, alot of black soot inside and have not been able to figure out the cause. The stove pipe goes through the wall and then up. It was windy yesterday when I was cleaning the stove. When I took the cover off the side to clean out the ash I noticed there was air blowing in. Does anyone know what would cause that to happen?
Thanks for your help!

Anything change in the house that would cause negative pressure in the house? You will get some air coming back in on its own too. Black soot sounds like dirty pot holes or exhaust path. If pot floor closing all the way and no gap in rear greater then a dimes width? Is second trap door closing? Different fuel causing it to feed to much? kap

Reactions: stovelark
Anything change in the house that would cause negative pressure in the house? You will get some air coming back in on its own too. Black soot sounds like dirty pot holes or exhaust path. If pot floor closing all the way and no gap in rear greater then a dimes width? Is second trap door closing? Different fuel causing it to feed to much? kap

Thanks for your response:
Nothing has changed in the house, I do not know what would cause negative pressure. How would you know if you had negative pressure? Same pellets that we always use, I clean the stove every other day right now. I think I understand what you are saying about dimes width so I will check that and I do keep an eye on the holes in the firepot. Can you explain more about a second trap door? If that is the one below the firepot then, yes it is closing. I don't think these things would have anything to do with smelling smoke in the house? That is the biggest issue, I only mentioned noticing the black soot in case it was connected with that. We thought it might be the door gasket so we replaced that but it has not helped.

You have the pot floor, and then a door above the ashpan. Is ashpan sealing ok? Is new door gasket installed properly? With the black soot, is your flame tall and lazy? And easiest way to see if there are any smoke leaks is when it is dark and use a flashlight at startup, when there is the most smoke. Check stove doors and exhaust pipe connections. I know I can get a smoke smell if wind is right. I think it gets in between house and basement walls. kap

Did you check your window gasket too? That's where I had a leak. I used a lighter, any leak will suck the flame in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk