Smoke coming into room with door closed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Birdley

Dec 1, 2022
Wisconsin
A little over a month ago I installed a Morso 7110 in an existing fireplace, and have burned probably about 10 times since installation. Last night was the first fire in a couple weeks. It was a very windy night and the fire got much hotter much quicker than it usually has, and the stove fan that sits atop the stove was blowing some smoke into the room while the stove door was closed. I haven’t had this issue on any other burns, and I can’t imagine that the paint is still curing or that the residue from the sticker on the connector was giving off that much smoke. I didn’t seal the seams of the connections to the liner with anything as most of the videos and blogs I read on instillation didn’t mention doing so, even the instructions from the manufacturer of the connection pieces didn’t say to do so. Could the strong winds have blown smoke down the flue and thru the joint seams? If this is the culprit could I wrap them with a high heat foil tape?

Also is it ok to insulate above the stove and in the fireplace with a ceramic blanket?

Thanks!

106D91B4-4139-4560-BCBA-4962EBCC507E.jpeg

What temperature has the stove been running at? If this is the first time the stove has been up over 600º it's possible to still be paint baking in.

What temperature has the stove been running at? If this is the first time the stove has been up over 600º it's possible to still be paint baking in.
It’s usually been on the lower end of the “best zone”, so a bit over 400. I don’t think it quite hit 600 though.

400º is fairly low for this stovetop and below full paint bake-in temperature.

The first time I got the stove up to 600F, after a couple smaller burns, it smoked off the external surfaces like someone had hidden cigarettes in it. It also smelled horrible and very "chemically"... After that I didn't see smoke but still had off gassing (smells) for a couple more burns (only the >600F ones). Now it's great, but it scared me a bit at the time until I tracked down a youtube video of a Morso stove baking in from a dealer who evidently got tired of talking down worried customers. *grin*

Now? I love the thing.

Reactions: wetwood4life