smoke from kiln dried

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe the flue is warm. Stovetop is around 250 - 300 when I reload. Could be wrong though. Don't quite get the moisture part. Not getting that wood smoke smell though. When driving in I see lots of houses with white smoke coming from their chimneys. Not all wood burners.

A combustion byproduct of most fuels (oil, kero, wood...) is water. The white is most often steam.

Believe the flue is warm. Stovetop is around 250 - 300 when I reload. Could be wrong though. Don't quite get the moisture part. Not getting that wood smoke smell though. When driving in I see lots of houses with white smoke coming from their chimneys. Not all wood burners.
Water vapor is byproduct from burning hydrogen. You can see it when it condenses in the air. Typical examples are vehicle exhaust before exhaust system is hot enough to keep vaporized at the tail pipe. Jets vapor trail from turbine engine going through cold dense air that doesn't dissipate water vapor and the Space Shuttle engines. Here is the hydrogen content of oven dry wood and how much water is produced;

Complete combustion means the conversion of carbon to CO2 and hydrogen to water.
Approximate elemental composition of dry wood is carbon 49%, oxygen 44%, hydrogen 6% and ash 1%.

The formula for calculating water vapor formed burning any fuel is 9 being the ratio of the molecular weight of water to hydrogen.
Every pound of hydrogen becomes 9 pounds of water. So a fuel containing approx. 6% hydrogen such as dry wood produces .54 pounds water for every pound burned.
A pound of wood with moisture content of 25% contains another 1/4 pound of water vapor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful and blades
Water vapor is byproduct from burning hydrogen. You can see it when it condenses in the air. Typical examples are vehicle exhaust before exhaust system is hot enough to keep vaporized at the tail pipe. Jets vapor trail from turbine engine going through cold dense air that doesn't dissipate water vapor and the Space Shuttle engines. Here is the hydrogen content of oven dry wood and how much water is produced;

Complete combustion means the conversion of carbon to CO2 and hydrogen to water.
Approximate elemental composition of dry wood is carbon 49%, oxygen 44%, hydrogen 6% and ash 1%.

The formula for calculating water vapor formed burning any fuel is 9 being the ratio of the molecular weight of water to hydrogen.
Every pound of hydrogen becomes 9 pounds of water. So a fuel containing approx. 6% hydrogen such as dry wood produces .54 pounds water for every pound burned.
A pound of wood with moisture content of 25% contains another 1/4 pound of water vapor.
Figured I was on the right track just didn't know the details for proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.