Smoke in room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrzgrl

Nov 18, 2014
New Jersey
I have an old Resolute, Vermont Castings. Had since before 1985. Never had any problems. I didn't use it last year. This year I had the chimney cleaned, replaced gasket around griddle, bought seasoned, split oak, and got ready to use. Put in paper, kindling and some small pieces of wood to get the fire going. Smoke poured out of the closed door and griddle. Damper is open, hole on side is open, door is closed tight. Had Chimney guy come out and all he says is to buy a new stove. Can anyone help me? Do Cast iron stoves go bad? Hasn't been used that much. Any suggestions as to what I can try? Chimney is suppose to be clean. My pipe is straight up through the attic. One story rancher.
Resolute.jpg

I don't think they go bad. This happens to me on occasion when first lighting a fire due to the cold air coming down the chimney in a steady flow, small amount of hot air isn't enough to overcome the cold air down draft, then fresh cold air is blowing on the fire coming down the chimney and blows smoke into the room, even after I close everything up, it still seeps out. I overcome the issue by lighting a few pieces of paper that can quickly catch fire and blow through the front door starting the hot air up the chimney. That starts the up draft in my case.

Also I clean my chimney myself, and it has multiple bends. I tie a screwdriver to a rope and drop it down the chimney, then tie a brush at the top. Go down and pull it through. Repeat 2-3x and it's crystal clear. Place a bucket or something at the bottom to catch the soot that you brush down.

Reactions: Jrzgrl
yes they can "go bad" but i dont think that is your issue. Try preheating the flue either with a paper fire a torch a heat gun or what ever see it that helps. Also have you changed anything in the house since you used it last?

I don't think they go bad. This happens to me on occasion when first lighting a fire due to the cold air coming down the chimney in a steady flow, small amount of hot air isn't enough to overcome the cold air down draft, then fresh cold air is blowing on the fire coming down the chimney and blows smoke into the room, even after I close everything up, it still seeps out. I overcome the issue by lighting a few pieces of paper that can quickly catch fire and blow through the front door starting the hot air up the chimney. That starts the up draft in my case.

Also I clean my chimney myself, and it has multiple bends. I tie a screwdriver to a rope and drop it down the chimney, then tie a brush at the top. Go down and pull it through. Repeat 2-3x and it's crystal clear. Place a bucket or something at the bottom to catch the soot that you brush down.

I did try to look up the pipe and noticed the pipe, where it ends in the firebox, still has quite a bit of creosote in it. I'm thinking the chimney sweep didn't clean it too well. I have the brush and extension rods but it's something my husband use to do before he died. I think I want to have a friend try to clean it again. Thanks for your response.

yes they can "go bad" but i dont think that is your issue. Try preheating the flue either with a paper fire a torch a heat gun or what ever see it that helps. Also have you changed anything in the house since you used it last?

I don't think my wood stove is bad. There are no cracks. Nothing has changed in the house since I last used it. I'll try cleaning the pipe again and then try the paper torch to see if I have a draft and if the preheating works. A friend thought it was bad gaskets but I read that wouldn't make it smoke, only not burn as efficent.

Take a pic of it send it to the sweep and tell him to get his ass back out there. I am a sweep and it pisses me off when i hear stories about hacks that do a half assed job like that it gives us all a bad rep

Yeah gaskets shouldnt do that it is lack of draft and if he didnt pull the pipe and clean it that could cause the problem

Growing up my father had me on the roof pulling the brush down, and always had a hassle at the bottom because it wasn't a clear shot into the burn box. When sweeping down it would accumulate there, and he said if you didn't clear it then cleaning the chimney was useless because it would be built up where the air needed to get out. Maybe he swept it and called it a day without clearing the bottom?

Sounds like your sweep did you more harm than good. Make him come back and finish the job you paid for and tell him your telling anybody that will listen what you had to do. He'll either do it right from then on or go back to flipping burgers.

Take a pic of it send it to the sweep and tell him to get his ass back out there. I am a sweep and it pisses me off when i hear stories about hacks that do a half assed job like that it gives us all a bad rep

As a sweep, should he take the pipe apart that's in the house? Or just run the brush down from the roof? I will call him back but I want to be sure what should be expected of him. Thanks. I watched a video on you tube and it shows the guy taking the bottom two pieces off and cleaning them outside while he put a bag over the exposed end and cleaned that from the roof.

Growing up my father had me on the roof pulling the brush down, and always had a hassle at the bottom because it wasn't a clear shot into the burn box. When sweeping down it would accumulate there, and he said if you didn't clear it then cleaning the chimney was useless because it would be built up where the air needed to get out. Maybe he swept it and called it a day without clearing the bottom?
Should he take the bottom pipe off to clean?

I am far from an authority on the subject, I just know how to clean mine and my parents stove we had growing up. I know my father had to do something to get the soot that he brushed out, out of the bottom where it connected to the stove, I just don't remember what.

Yes Unless your chimney comes straight down into the top of your stove the pipe needs to come down.

Yes Unless your chimney comes straight down into the top of your stove the pipe needs to come down.
Stove pipe is a straight shot from stove to roof. I tried to take a picture looking up, but it's night time right now. I'll try again in the am, but this is what I got right now.
IMG_2799.jpg Doesn't look like I just had a chimney sweep clean it does it.

No not at all but he would not have to pull the pipe in your case. He just did a crappy job is all call him back

Want to thank you all for your responses. Had a friend go up to clean out pipe, couldn't get the brush all the way down. We came inside and he used a snake to see if he could get it up the chimney. He hit a thick block of creosote. He pushed and poked and chunks fell down. All of a sudden we could see daylight and feel cool air. Surprise! Then he went back up on roof and cleaned the pipe with the brush. Now we can look down the shinny, clean, creosote free pipe. Wood stove works very well, no smoke in the room. So much for my "40 years of experience" chimney sweep . The chimney sweep and safety inspection were usless. Can't believe the owner came out and told me the vermont castings was too old to use and I should buy a new one from him. Thanks again to everyone who helped with their thoughts.

I would demand a refund for services rendered. Not only did he not do the job, he said he did it, and you took him for his word, which created a dangerous situation for you. His actions put you in harms way. Even if you escaped relatively unharmed, what about the next person?

I know it's easy to dismiss it, but i hate it when people don't take pride in their work, especially if it endangers others.

Reactions: bholler
I absolutely agree with fatjay what he did was irresponsible and dangerous. Is he a certified sweep? If so send me his name in a private message and i will report him to my csia rep

Status
Not open for further replies.