Smoke in the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Hey guys,

I get a little smoke in the house every time I open the door to my stove.

Here's my set up:
70 year old drafty ranch. About 1600 s/f to heat
I have a Napoleon 1101 insert.
6" liner all the way up to the chimney cap (about 15 feet total)
Block plate installed.

I get good burns. Good temps, good secondaries, no smoke. I'm happy with the insert. I understand a bit about draft, but can't figure out why some smoke would poor out into the room. It happens when the stove/chimney are cold and while they're hot.

*A few things to note: 1. An adapter had to be installed on top of my insert to better connect the 6" liner with the stove. 2. I don't think it did this the first couple of weeks we were burning the stove. 3. I've only been burning for about five weeks. The wood I'm burning is a mix. Some seasoned wood, some no so seasoned, some construction debris (untreated of course).

So is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas of what I can do? Thanks so much.

Well, hard to say without being there, but just as a first guess 15' is about the minimum chimney for that insert I believe. It might be just barely adequate draft.

Is the chimney cap clear?

Check the top of the flue and the flue cap screen for plugging.

cmonSTART said:
Well, hard to say without being there, but just as a first guess 15' is about the minimum chimney for that insert I believe. It might be just barely adequate draft.

Is the chimney cap clear?

Thanks for your response guys. There are no trees around -if that's what you mean by clear. It may be more like 17 feet in length. Would it be better if it were longer?

I will get up there and check for plugging tomorrow.

Some stoves will do this with a marginal chimney length. Most stoves have large door in comparison to the size of the flue, if you already have a marginal draft with a 6" flue, add a little build-up in there and you no longer really have a 6" flue. This would explain why it might not not have done it at first. Definitely check the cap but after only five weeks I doubt this is where your problem is. Can you check that adapter you mentioned?

DaFattKidd said:
Hey guys,

Here's my set up:
Block plate installed.

I get good burns. Good temps, good secondaries, no smoke. I'm happy with the insert. I understand a bit about draft, but can't figure out why some smoke would poor out into the room. It happens when the stove/chimney are cold and while they're hot.

*A few things to note: 1. An adapter had to be installed on top of my insert to better connect the 6" liner with the stove. 2. I don't think it did this the first couple of weeks we were burning the stove. 3. I've only been burning for about five weeks. The wood I'm burning is a mix. Some seasoned wood, some no so seasoned, some construction debris (untreated of course).

So is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas of what I can do? Thanks so much.

you might want to give the whole chimney a look see if your burning wood that is not dry. you prob have some buildup somewhere.

All good advice above otherwise...

...did the stove always burn like that? If so then you could have a real air tight home. You may have to crack open a window to allow for more free flowing air to create a 'draw' so smoke goes up the chimney...

...just like mother nature intended.

DaFattKidd said:
Hey guys,

Here's my set up:
Block plate installed.

An adapter? Could this be an 8" to a 6" adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.